cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vrs07nl
Community Contributor

domain for mobile apps so can get restricted video to play

Jump to solution

We are using vimeo for hosting our video. We can get them to play fine via a webrowser but cannot they appear inaccesible via moble apps as we have the privacy setting in vimeo set to specific domains

anyone know what the domains are for canvas app and teacher app?

• instructure.com                    does not cover it ...
2 Solutions

I have had the following response from support:

"The app will not have a referrer because it accesses data based off of API. This means there are no URLs which the app can provide as a referrer when accessing content/data."

Therefore, we cannot use 'domains' in Vimeo to restrict where our videos can be embedded if we want them to be available in the app.

Not ideal, but probably a risk we are prepared to take!

Thanks for all the responses on this thread

View solution in original post

This is not ideal, but makes sense since the app is indeed based off the APIs in a sense just one big LTI. 

View solution in original post

11 Replies
rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

vrs07nl

Are you playing the video through a Canvas Page or is it linked directly into a module? I'll do some research on my end since we are a Vimeo school, but this information will be great. Thanks! 

Hi Ryan, we are embedding the video on a Canvas page.  In Vimeo, we have limited where videos can be embedded to our Canvas and custom domains (see attached)

Many thanks

Steve

Screenshot of Vimeo settings

I just realized that Vimeo made video embedding a premium feature :smileyangry:. I need to get permission to do this from our admins. In the meantime, I suggest you add the following domain: online.henley.ac.uk - This appears to be your login address, and from some quick research, Vimeo isn't great at guessing subdomains (ex: school.instructure.com might not work if you just set instructure.com). Let me know if this helps and I'll continue to monitor a fix. 

Hi Ryan, many thanks for the suggestion.  I have added https://online.henley.ac.uk  and https://henley.instructure.com (ensuring Also apply to all existing videos was selected) into the Domain setting.  This hasn't had a positive effect as yet, but I will keep trying in case it takes sometime to refresh etc.

Thanks again

Steve

Hi Ryan, just following up on this.  Having added the additional Domains as described earlier, I am still unable to play videos in the app as they are blocked.  Many thanks for the suggestion anyway and I will update the thread as and when I find a solution.

Thanks again

Steve

jeshelman

We are having the same issue with our mobile users. Our videos are embedded from Vimeo onto a Canvas page within the course.

Our permissions settings on Vimeo allow the videos to be embedded on two Instructure sites, and our own domain:

ccef.instructure.com

wts.instructure.com

ccef.org

I'm also curious to know if there's another domain we can add in the permissions field. Thanks!

akkaufmann
Community Contributor

Hi vrs07nl‌,

I did some testing by embedding a page that displays the referrer (What is my Referer?) on a Canvas page to see what the results were. For a browser it correctly displayed the URL of our Canvas instance. When I opened page on both the Canvas Student and Canvas Teacher app, the referrer was report as "no referrer/hidden." So it seems that the app does not pass along a referrer to embedded pages.

Alex

So, this might not be a Vimeo issue, but specifically related to the app. :smileyplain:

I have had the following response from support:

"The app will not have a referrer because it accesses data based off of API. This means there are no URLs which the app can provide as a referrer when accessing content/data."

Therefore, we cannot use 'domains' in Vimeo to restrict where our videos can be embedded if we want them to be available in the app.

Not ideal, but probably a risk we are prepared to take!

Thanks for all the responses on this thread

This is not ideal, but makes sense since the app is indeed based off the APIs in a sense just one big LTI. 

Hi Alex, many thanks for your response, very helpful indeed.  I have a case open with Instructure, I will update the ticket seeing if they can confirm what we know thanks to your research.

I will update as and when I get further info

Thanks again

Steve