ePortfolio needs to improve

Jump to solution
Mister_Poe
Community Member

I've been using ePortfolio this year with my kids, and believe I've learned all of its ins and outs. It can be dramatically improved with minimal effort, and I don't understand why Canvas isn't doing anything about it. For example:

• The content editor lacks many features that Pages has in normal Canvas pages. It cannot embed documents or record videos. Why does every rich content editor on canvas have these features except ePortfolio?
  • When you're inserting an assignment in a page, you have to scroll through the hundreds of assignments you've turned in over the years. Why isn't there a way to search for assignments by class?
  • When you include these assignments, they aren't embedded. So what's the point? It would be easier to just reupload assignments than going through the trouble of finding them in the assignments feature

So I guess my question is this: Has Canvas abandoned ePortfolio? Or are there plans to improve it? I've committed to using ePortfolio with hopes of it being improved, but if there are no plans to fix it, I'll use Google Pages.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there, @Mister_Poe ...

Instead of ePortfolios, have you investigated Portfolium?  This was announced at the 2019 InstructureCon conference, and it is free if your school has a paid Canvas account.  Here are some resources for you to look through:

Portfolium has a much better interface and has a lot more to offer than the Canvas ePortfolios.  So, you might want to check with your school's local Canvas administrator or someone from your school's Online Learning/eLearning department to see if they've added Portfolium into your school's Canvas environment...or if that might be a possibility in the near future.

I hope this helps.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post