embedded images not showing in IOS Canvas App

Jump to solution
Cassandra747
Community Member

Hello, 

While a few weeks ago all my embedded images on my Canvas pages were showing without issue on the IOS App (smart phone etc.) now they are not.  Does the App need to be updated? Its showing via browser but many students use the App as their primary access to Canvas. 

Thank you,

Cassandra 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Hildi_Pardo
Community Champion

Hi Cassandra,

This is what I shared with my school district:

The apple mobile devices that are on the latest iOS version (iOS14) will cause a problem with images not loading on Canvas pages.  This is because there is a new security setting in iOS14 that prevents “cross-website tracking” and is preventing Canvas from loading images.

Here is Canvas' temporary work around (I tested this and this does work😞

There is a known issue that our engineers are working on to resolve issues not displaying properly in the apps. In the meantime, they have shared this workaround:

1. Ensure that the device has the most updated version of the app installed (6.9.4 or higher for Student, 1.11.9 or higher for Teacher). 
2. In the device's Settings, select the Canvas app and enable Allow Cross-Website TrackingMaking this adjustment has worked for allowing images to display until a more longterm solution is in place.

Steps:  
  • Tap Settings on apple mobile device
  • Scroll down to find the app, for example, Canvas Student
  • Then click to turn ON the setting for:  Allow Cross-Website Tracking

You must make sure to update the App (whether it is Canvas Student, Canvas Teacher, or Canvas Parent) to have the option.  I have heard sometimes you cannot see the option right away, so just refresh your screen, or make sure to be logged in to the App before trying this setting.

View solution in original post