cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jew21
Community Participant

excel grades are different from the canvas final grade

why do the csv or excel grades look different from the canvas final grade

when I download grades into excel teh final grade doesn't match always what is in canvas

4 Replies
bneporadny
Community Champion

Hi John,

The grade shown in Canvas to the student is their score to date. Meaning anything that is supposed to have been graded and does not include future assignments or quizzes. 

When you export the grades you should see two different columns one that says current score‌ and another that called final score‌.  The current score‌ is what is being shown in Canvas and  only takes into account assignments and quizzes that are due.  The final score‌ is what the student would have based on what they have turned in so far and getting zero's on the rest of the assignments that aren't even due yet. 

What I do is use the current score and current points when I'm producing reports for my institution.

The only time I really look at the final score is when posting final grades and ensure that the #current score‌ and #final score‌ columns are the same and if they are I know that the instructor has posted all grades in the course. 

Brian

jew21
Community Participant

Thank you, Brian, but I am at the end of the semester and there are 6 grades that are different. When I download the Canvas grades to a csv and pull it into excel the grades are different in terms of their percentages. What is the difference between canvas averages and excel averages? If something is ungraded, does canvas ignore it but excel treat it as a zero?

Dr. Jack Watson

Professor of Soil Physics and Biogeochemistry

ESM Director of Graduate Studies

Ecosystem Science and Management Dept.

409 ASI Building

University Park, PA 16802

jackwatson@psu.edu<mailto:jackwatson@psu.edu>

814-863-6714

bneporadny
Community Champion

Hi John,

At the end of your file in Excel do does your Current Score Column and Unposted Current Score column match what is in the #gradebook?  Because when I exported a course and looked at those two columns those were the grades that were showing within Canvas and the final score column was much lower because of assignments not being due just yet.

275049_pastedImage_1.png

jew21
Community Participant

When you say they “aren’t due yet”, that of course isn’t my way of looking at it, but it does help me understand how CANVAS is calculating things! Thank you for your help! I’ll not use the Final Score in Excel but will use the “Current Score”.

Dr. Jack Watson

Professor of Soil Physics and Biogeochemistry

ESM Director of Graduate Studies

Ecosystem Science and Management Dept.

409 ASI Building

University Park, PA 16802

jackwatson@psu.edu<mailto:jackwatson@psu.edu>

814-863-6714