Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tmp06a

h5p interactive videos with youtube url

Jump to solution

We are working with H5P after attending Canvas Conf in Dallas. I am trying to set up an interactive video using a youtube url. Been very unsuccessful. I can add the questions, but it does not want to 'take' the video instead of the one in the wizard. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robbie, 

Thanks for the follow up. The answer is that we used a different application. HP5 was too problematic. But in that respect, we designed the exercise and moved on. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

8 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @tina_powers ‌ - Let me start of by saying that I know nothing about H5P and certainly do not know what you may have heard at the conference, but I'm curious if you got the impression that it is supposed to work within Canvas.  They certainly are not listed on Canvas' Partnership page.    A quick look around the H5P forums indicates that the answer appears to be "not really."  I found this hunting around a bit on their site, and towards the end of that thread it led me to H5P's product roadmap page, and you notice that number 8 (creating an LTI) is not crossed off the list yet.  I also stumbled across a rather negative blog site (towards Canvas, in general, it must be said) that basically decries the lack of true communication between H5P and Canvas.  In fairness to Instructure, however, things are not going to work unless a company plays by the general IMS LTI rules.

This sounds like a cool tool, overall, however!  If you ever get things up and running, I'm sure others in the Community would like to hear about it.

ssimpso4
Community Contributor

@tina_powers ‌,

I was also at the SMU event and have played around a bit with H5P. I was able to get the interactive video created and hosted in H5P to successfully embed and play in Canvas, as desired. Please watch this short video and let me know where you may have encountered a specific problem getting yours to work.

@kblack ‌ is correct in regard to there not being a true LTI between Canvas and H5P yet, but I've found H5P to actually be a great option for easily creating many different types of interactives and embedding in Canvas via the HTML editor. In the K-12 world, cost is the paramount consideration and H5P is free and easy to use. However, it is 'buyer beware' to the extent that things could change and no student data is being collected as they work through these interactives. However, I'd rather have some type of check for understanding questions in an embedded content video than no checks at all and most other solutions are cost-prohibitive in the world of public schooling.

Good luck!

kblack
Community Champion

Thanks for this, ssimpso4‌!  I was interested in seeing how this all worked myself and appreciate seeing it in "live action." 

Stephen, thank you for the feedback. I will try this.

Tina

Hi Tina Powers

Just adding myself to the conversation. Like Stephen, I have also successfully used an interactive video within Canvas hosted by h5p, let me know how you go! If there is anything I can do to assist, I'm happy to help Smiley Happy  

Thanks for sharing your experience with this tool, Stephen.  I heard a rumor  @direccion  from that H5p will soon be building out more robust LTI options so that is something to look forward to.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@tina_powers ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Robbie, 

Thanks for the follow up. The answer is that we used a different application. HP5 was too problematic. But in that respect, we designed the exercise and moved on. Smiley Happy