cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stedavis
Community Member

how can i give the same grade to all members of a group in a group assignment?

Jump to solution

I tried all options and speedgrader doesn't seem to allow one grade for the entire group

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
orwinr
Community Champion

Hi  @stedavis , welcome to the community.

By default, when you create a group assignment Canvas sets it up so that all students receive the same grade. When you are looking in SpeedGrader are you seeing student names or group names? If you are seeing student names one of two things is happening, 1) you have the assignment configured to grade each student individually in the assignment settings or 2) you didn't associate the assignment with a group that had students in it. Remember that you have to create a group set and then the groups and either automatically or manually assign students to the groups. If they aren't assigned to groups, even if you associate a group set to the assignment, Canvas doesn't know who is in the groups so it will show student names and those names will not be associated with a group. Unfortunately, This has bitten many a Canvas user if this is the case. Check these things out and reply back if you have more questions.

View solution in original post

maurera
Community Participant

I went ahead and went back to where the group assignment was set up and this is what I found. When the course designers set the courses up, they set the grades to be assigned individually to the students. Once an assignment is submitted it apparently can't be changed.  I am going to go into the next two group assignments for my course and uncheck this box and hope this solves my problems since it is getting very daunting to try to give all the information under the grading rubric to all my students in the same group.

307353_pastedImage_3.png

Another option that would help here is to allow the assignments to be sorted by group number in the SpeedGrader in order to make it easier to find everyone listed in the same group. That would only be a second option if the first option, the ability to check and uncheck a small box below the grade to allown the grade to the shared with the whole group, isn't an option.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
orwinr
Community Champion

Hi  @stedavis , welcome to the community.

By default, when you create a group assignment Canvas sets it up so that all students receive the same grade. When you are looking in SpeedGrader are you seeing student names or group names? If you are seeing student names one of two things is happening, 1) you have the assignment configured to grade each student individually in the assignment settings or 2) you didn't associate the assignment with a group that had students in it. Remember that you have to create a group set and then the groups and either automatically or manually assign students to the groups. If they aren't assigned to groups, even if you associate a group set to the assignment, Canvas doesn't know who is in the groups so it will show student names and those names will not be associated with a group. Unfortunately, This has bitten many a Canvas user if this is the case. Check these things out and reply back if you have more questions.

sumatina
Community Member

orwinr

So does that mean a group that allows students to sign up for their group (a self-sign up group) won't give all students the same grade automatically?

maurera
Community Participant

It appears that the way a lot of the courses at BYU-Idaho are set up, because we had to manually set up the students in the group after the assignments were set up, we will have to grade each student individually and not as a group.  Although it allows for comments being sent to the entire group, based on a selections button under the comments, it appears that I can not select an option to give all students in the same group the same grade.  Is it too late to associate these assignments to the groups that were set up to allow for faster grading?

I think it is weird that the only feature that isn't set up to give to the entire group is the grade.  Especially when I can comment and send it to the entire group and the fact that the submitted document (that was submitted by only one group member) shows up on all of the group members submission folders in the SpeedGrader. Couldn't there be an option added to the SpeedGrader that allows for the grade to be shared with all the group members as well?

maurera
Community Participant

I went ahead and went back to where the group assignment was set up and this is what I found. When the course designers set the courses up, they set the grades to be assigned individually to the students. Once an assignment is submitted it apparently can't be changed.  I am going to go into the next two group assignments for my course and uncheck this box and hope this solves my problems since it is getting very daunting to try to give all the information under the grading rubric to all my students in the same group.

307353_pastedImage_3.png

Another option that would help here is to allow the assignments to be sorted by group number in the SpeedGrader in order to make it easier to find everyone listed in the same group. That would only be a second option if the first option, the ability to check and uncheck a small box below the grade to allown the grade to the shared with the whole group, isn't an option.

0 Kudos
James
Community Champion

That warning applies to the selected group set and the fact that it is a group assignment. You can still change the checkbox to assign individually or as a group. I do that sometimes when I want to grade quickly but then change the grade for a few students who didn't earn the points the rest of the group did.

James
Community Champion

If you have created the groups and allow your students to sign up for which group they want, then you can give the same grade to all students in a group -- just make sure that the box to assign grades individually is not checked when you go to grade. That checkbox is changeable after the submissions have been made. What is not changeable is the fact that it is a group assignment or the group set used for that assignment. The checkbox for assigning grades individually only matters when you go to assign grades.

If you're going to grade mostly as a group with a few exceptions, assign grades as a group and then check the box to assign them individually and go back and modify the few that need changed. Do not modify grades within the gradebook for individual students, thinking that it will override just their grade, if the checkbox to assign grades individually is not checked -- it will change the grade for everyone in that group if you try this.

maurera
Community Participant

This is a very helpful tip and if you are still struggling, it has helped me immensely. Thanks for your tips.

@stedavis ‌ you might find this very helpful if you haven't already figured out what to do.

orwinr
Community Champion

Hi sumatina,

As  @James  said, if you created the group set, you can always use the groups from that set as the group set in an assignment and supply a grade for everybody at once. Now, if the groups are student created groups, allowed by turning on the "Let students organize their own groups" setting under the "more options" area in your course settings, these groups cannot be used as the group in an assignment.

Here is a list of how to proceed with group assignments so you don't get bitten by one of the issues we have experienced:

1. Create your assignment, but don't publish it yet.
  2. Go to the "People" page and create your Group Set if it doesn't already exist
  3. Create the groups in the "Group Set":
    1. manually
    2. let Canvas create them automatically
    3. if you allow students to sign up to groups themselves
      1. I would recommend that this be completed prior to publishing the assignment so you make sure all students are in a group.
      2. Once all of the students have signed up for a group, go back to the "Group Set" settings and uncheck the "Self Sign-Up" option so that students can't change groups mid stream.
  4. MAKE SURE THAT ALL STUDENTS are assigned a group. If students aren't assigned a group and assignment submissions start to role in, you will be confused in finding these individual students
  5. Go back and edit the the assignment:
    1. add the "Group Set" to the group settings
    2. Leave the check box empty next to the "Assign Grades to Each Student Individually" option. I always grade every thing as a group first so that all comments and scores populate through the group. Once you have done this initial grading, then you can go back and tick this box and make changes to individual student scores.
  6. Publish the assignment ONLY after you have all students assigned to a group in the group set and the group set has been added to the assignment. This will save you lots of headaches down the road.

Hope this helps!

orwinr
Community Champion

@maurera ,  @James  is spot on here. As I mentioned below, I always start grading the individual groups and then go back and change the setting to grade students individually. This allows me to deduct points from those that didn't work well in the group or reward those with exceptional effort.