cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
martinj11
Community Member

how to add a file

Jump to solution

When I click on files I get an add a folder option but i can't figure out how to get to add a file. In the video I watched it shower add a file on the right hand side but I only have add a folder.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @martinj11  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  To add a file to your "Files" area of the course, you can follow the steps outlined in this Guide: How do I upload a file to a course?  It seems odd to me that you only have a button to add a folder.  I just checked the account setting "Permissions" page for "Course Files - add / edit / delete", and it says:

Course Files
Allows user to add, edit, and delete course files and folders. Allows user to download files into a zip file, import a zip file, and lock/unlock files.

So, this would seem to indicate that if you are allowed to add/edit/delete folders, you should also be able to do the same for files.

If you are still not seeing this after reviewing the Guide that I have provided, then I would recommend that you reach out to the folks at the Canvas Help Desk to see if they can help troubleshoot this further with you.  How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?‌  After speaking with them, please come back to this topic to provide an update.  Thanks Joan!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @martinj11  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  To add a file to your "Files" area of the course, you can follow the steps outlined in this Guide: How do I upload a file to a course?  It seems odd to me that you only have a button to add a folder.  I just checked the account setting "Permissions" page for "Course Files - add / edit / delete", and it says:

Course Files
Allows user to add, edit, and delete course files and folders. Allows user to download files into a zip file, import a zip file, and lock/unlock files.

So, this would seem to indicate that if you are allowed to add/edit/delete folders, you should also be able to do the same for files.

If you are still not seeing this after reviewing the Guide that I have provided, then I would recommend that you reach out to the folks at the Canvas Help Desk to see if they can help troubleshoot this further with you.  How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?‌  After speaking with them, please come back to this topic to provide an update.  Thanks Joan!

View solution in original post