Did you mean: 
edward_lulofs
Community Member

how to lock a quiz

Jump to solution

how to lock a quiz

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Since "This option only applies to quizzes that are assigned to Everyone." is over the top too tricky imho, we have found a workaround: you can simple input a silent* Access Code to lock the Quiz from further use (since no user can enter without that access code).  Silent* meaning nowhere announced to the user section(s).

View solution in original post

9 Replies
mzimmerman
Community Champion

Hi Edward,

Can you explain in more detail what you mean by "lock a quiz"?

klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Edward! A few months ago, you posted a question about locking a quiz. Later that day, Michael asked a follow-up question, but you never returned. How are things going? Do you still have the question? For now, I'm going to mark this thread as "assumed answered" but it will not prevent you or any other Canvas Community member from commenting or reopening the discussion. 

evanp
Community Participant

I'm not the original poster...but I do have a question.  I was testing, because an instructor thought that locking a quiz would be a good strategy for taking attendance.  In this scenario he'd make the quiz beforehand, and publish it...then lock it.  At some point during the class he'd open it, and use the three dots and "let students take the quiz nowl" and add 5 minutes to time of being unlocked.  

However, we have found that it doesn't really change the "until"?? It unlocks only...not adding an until.  

Is this not working as designed?  or do I not understand what is meant by the "until" 

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @evanp  

There are several ways you can" Lock" a quiz, so how your instructor is unlocking it can make a difference, and the menu under the ellipses (three vertical dots), really has nothing to do with any of them beyond opening the edit panel, and the chances are very good that once your teacher edited it, he did so to change the availability dates.

Kelley

evanp
Community Participant

Thank you Kelley,

• It was locked with the 3 dot menu > "Lock Quiz"
  • and unlocked with 3 dot menu> "let students take the quiz now"
  • The instructor at this point used the dialog box that appears to set the "until"  however, the until didn't set the until in the quiz settings.  

From your response "the ellipses (three vertical dots), really has nothing to do with any of them beyond opening the edit panel,"  gives me the impression that the Ellipses menu just acts as a shortcut to quiz settings...is that correct?

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi again,  @evanp  !

Okay, I found the correct set of ellipses, but unlocking a quiz does not modify the available until settings unless the instructor re-locks the quiz after an interval.  This feature is really only useful in a traditional classroom in which Canvas is used to web-enhance" the course. I do not know many fully online or hybrid instructors who use this feature in combination with availability dates.

The Lock/Unlock feature is not a shortcut to editing, and is really only used when administering a quiz in a live classroom.

kevin_redding
Community Participant

Nobody has ever really said exactly WHAT locking a quiz means -- how exactly does that change functionality?  Is that not a simple question to answer?  Why cannot I find anything in the guide about what this does.  It only tells us HOW to lock it -- which is easy -- but what I want to know is this: WHAT is locking?

The document on quiz options at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10152-415241475 says:

• Lock this quiz now so that students cannot access the quiz once it is published [6]. The quiz title will still be visible to students but they will be unable to open the quiz. This option only applies to quizzes that are assigned to Everyone.

So, "locking" means that the quiz title is listed, but students do not have access to the quiz, as opposed to unpublished quizzes which are not listed for students.

Since "This option only applies to quizzes that are assigned to Everyone." is over the top too tricky imho, we have found a workaround: you can simple input a silent* Access Code to lock the Quiz from further use (since no user can enter without that access code).  Silent* meaning nowhere announced to the user section(s).

View solution in original post