cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reuben_kraft
Community Participant

is 12am midnight or noon?

Jump to solution

in canvas when I pick a day to release modules, it defaults to 12am. For example I picked June 12, 12am as the release date but now it is 8:30am and the module is not released. I am wondering why. 12am is midnight, right? noon would be 12pm?  

thanks,

Reuben

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
dhulsey
Community Champion

You are correct,  @reuben_kraft ‌! 12 AM is midnight. 12 PM is noon.

Many online classes have due dates at 11:59 PM to avoid the noon / midnight confusion. If you are teaching online, you also should specify the time zone for due dates because students can set Canvas to display due dates in their own time zone, and this can push due dates into the next day on the calendar.

I hope that helps!

View solution in original post

kblack
Community Champion

You are correct,  @reuben_kraft  - 12:00 am is indeed midnight, and I just replicated your setting on a Module in a sample class of my own that the Student View indicated should be seen just fine by students as of now.  

However, I see in your screen capture that you have a prerequisite to that Module.  Could that be causing the issue?  The Student View would lock out any Module based on prerequisites if that "student" did not go through them.  Are you hearing from any actual students that they cannot see your L12 module?  I wonder if the issue may lie in the prerequisite in the previous module.

13 Replies
dhulsey
Community Champion

You are correct,  @reuben_kraft ‌! 12 AM is midnight. 12 PM is noon.

Many online classes have due dates at 11:59 PM to avoid the noon / midnight confusion. If you are teaching online, you also should specify the time zone for due dates because students can set Canvas to display due dates in their own time zone, and this can push due dates into the next day on the calendar.

I hope that helps!

kblack
Community Champion

You are correct,  @reuben_kraft  - 12:00 am is indeed midnight, and I just replicated your setting on a Module in a sample class of my own that the Student View indicated should be seen just fine by students as of now.  

However, I see in your screen capture that you have a prerequisite to that Module.  Could that be causing the issue?  The Student View would lock out any Module based on prerequisites if that "student" did not go through them.  Are you hearing from any actual students that they cannot see your L12 module?  I wonder if the issue may lie in the prerequisite in the previous module.

reuben_kraft
Community Participant

Pre-req and time release should not be connected. I don’t think that is issue. I think Canvas is using the wrong convention.

reuben_kraft
Community Participant

Timezone in settings is EST. which is correct. I think canvas has their timing conventions confused.

Hi  @reuben_kraft 

You are correct that prereqs and time-release should not be connected , and they are not connected in Canvas. However, if you have set a prerequisite in a previous module that has not been met by a student, that would prevent the student from accessing content in a subsequent module, regardless of what release dates you may have set. This is what  @kblack  was referring to.

I hope this helps,

Kelley

myerdon01
Community Champion

Check your own settings for time zone, even if the course is set properly. I have had instructors that had wrong time zone set in their settings, course was correct, but got the same issue you are having.

238452_pastedImage_2.png

238451_pastedImage_1.png

reuben_kraft
Community Participant

Yes. I have that correct

Hi Reuben,

It looks like that module was actually set to release at 10:00 PM on the 11th.  Did you change the module settings after this thread was posted?

Thanks,

SD

Thanks Stefanie,

Yes, I probably did adjust it, but it was some time ago – I don’t remember. Everyone’s solution is still not clear. 12 am should be in the middle of the night.

Thanks,

Reuben