linking courses

Jump to solution
ang120201
Community Novice

(my shift button is not working please excuse the lowercase typing.)

i am a special ed teacher. i would like to have one home page (course) for all of my students since i see different students for different subjects. i would then like to link from my home course to other courses for each subject they see me for. i can see how to do this with modules but with 4 reading groups alone all at different levels i need them in different courses to keep it as easy as possible. how do i link my main course to my other courses?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @ang120201 ...

The first thing you will need to do is to ensure that all students in your main course also have access to one or more of the courses you want to link to.  Otherwise, a student who has access to the main course that does not have access to a linked course will not be able to access that content...because the student is not enrolled in that course.  The student would see an error message when trying to access any content within that linked course.

As far as linking from one course to another is concerned, there is nothing in the interface that allows you to do this.  So, when you are creating your links in your main course, you will need to switch over to the other course(s) and copy/paste the URLs from the pages you want to link to back in the main course.  But, keep in mind that if you change the titles of any pages, the links may also change.  Depending on which version of the Rich Content Editor (RCE) your school is using, you can follow the instructions in one of these Guides:

I hope this will help you a bit.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Take care...stay safe...be well.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@ang120201  Canvas recently released Canvas for Elementary and we hope you'll have a look through the designs in the video. This might well be just what you're looking for! If it is, please contact the local Canvas admin for your district for guidance on setting this up.

View solution in original post