cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
donna_adamson
Community Member

linking documents that are uploaded as files

Jump to solution

Can I link between documents that I upload as files or do I need to make the documents into pages so that I can link the documents? Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thank you, Kona - it appears that uploading a document that has links to other documents doesn't work, so I had to convert the initial document into a Page, and then I could link to other documents.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@doanderson ​, I'm not 100% sure of what you're trying to do, but yes, in general if you want to link between documents in Canvas you would want to start with a page and then upload the files and then link them as needed. If this doesn't help, then please provide some additional information about what you're trying to do and we'll try to provide more hep!

doanderson
Community Member

This was not my question, but I already received the answer a long time ago

@doanderson ​, sorry I wasn't able to answer your question. I responded the same day you posted it, but wasn't sure exactly what you were wanting. Would you mind sharing what your question was and what you did to make it work for you? Thanks!!

Thank you, Kona - it appears that uploading a document that has links to other documents doesn't work, so I had to convert the initial document into a Page, and then I could link to other documents.

View solution in original post

Interesting,  @donna_adamson ​; that has not been my experience. For example, I have a link to my course syllabus on my course home page. It's a PDF. When I click the preview button for the document, the document appears in the Box previewer--and when I click on a link within the document, I'm immediately directed out to that link.

And, if I just wanted to upload the PDFs to my Files area without linking out to or embedding them in a Canvas page, students could download them, and the links would still work.

Is there a particular document type that you're embedding in your Canvas pages or uploading to your Files where you're finding the links don't work? I have read of problems with links not working in Google Docs, depending on how they're embedded into the course--and there's a discussion of that in Embedding Google Doc with Links --but I think that's more a Google issue than a Canvas one.

doanderson
Community Member

I'm confused. I asked that question about 4 months ago. I haven't posted anything further.

I now see the source of the confusion!  @donna_adamson ​ posted the question--but  @doanderson ​ was tagged on it somewhere along the way. Sorry about that, Donna Anderson; you can disregard the chatter here. :smileysilly:

@donna_adamson ​, I'm still thinking about your question. I realize that my answer of yesterday was woefully incomplete, because I tested links to URLs within documents, whereas your question was specific to files that are linked within files. All things considered, I think your decision to create pages and then link out to files from those pages is the best approach, as it will create a good user experience for your students.