cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hvbar
Community Member

meaning of English abbreviation and word

Jump to solution

Please, what does lms in canvaslms mean?  learning ...........

and

while opening/closing one of the menu's I mean to hear you say 'breadcrums'; what do you mean by that.

Thank you,

Hannie van Barneveld

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @hvbar 

LMS means "Learning Management System". That is what Canvas is, a learning management system developed by Instructure. You can learn more about learning Management Systems in this nice Wikipedia page.

Breadcrumbs are any system/series of links that record a person's progress through a website with many areas, and can be used to navigate back to some point along the way.  You will find breadcrumbs in your canvas courses on the Title line for the course. In the screenshot below you will notice: Course Name>Content Area>and current page in that content area noted as "HIT 105 - 2747>Assignments>Update your Profile".

287574_pastedImage_2.png

I hope this helps,

Kelley

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @hvbar 

LMS means "Learning Management System". That is what Canvas is, a learning management system developed by Instructure. You can learn more about learning Management Systems in this nice Wikipedia page.

Breadcrumbs are any system/series of links that record a person's progress through a website with many areas, and can be used to navigate back to some point along the way.  You will find breadcrumbs in your canvas courses on the Title line for the course. In the screenshot below you will notice: Course Name>Content Area>and current page in that content area noted as "HIT 105 - 2747>Assignments>Update your Profile".

287574_pastedImage_2.png

I hope this helps,

Kelley

View solution in original post

hvbar
Community Member

Thanks so much, Kelly, for your answer. Just before recieving it I 'clicked further' and by myself found the meaning of LMS, which is now confirmed by you.

I think the only way to really find out what is meant by breadcrumbs is starting to ‘use’ the system, but thanks for explaining what it is so I will be able to pick them up from the floor after they fell from the table ….to begin with by using your screenshot.

You support helped me out but there is still the problem of the non-native English speaker getting to know the technical terms and metaphors of the ICT-trade.