cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hussein_agha
Community Member

modules, submodules, folders etc

Hey All,

Does anyone know if it is possible to create submodules OR folders under a specifik module in a course? I realize that you can create headings but this is not helping in my case since I wish to be able to "fold/unfold" the files under a specific heading which currently is not possible.

Many thanks in advance

Best regards

Hussein Agha

6 Replies
stuart_ryan
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @hussein_agha  and Welcome to the Canvas Community,

As far as I am aware, there is no native way to achieve this at the moment. However, I will share this with the Canvas Admins‌ group to see if anyone there may have some alternative suggestions or experience with some external tools or offerings that might help.

Hope that helps!

Stuart

tdelillo
Community Champion

Although it can't be done in Modules, you could maybe use accordions in pages as a workaround. This discussion might help: https://community.canvaslms.com/message/46209-re-tabs 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there  @hussein_agha ...

@stuart_ryan ‌ and  @tdelillo  have given you some good feedback here.  One other idea I had (though it won't completely address what you'd ultimately like to do) is to use the "indent" feature of Modules.  Check out this Guide, How do I add assignment types, pages, and files as module items?.  Scroll to just over half-way down the page, and you'll see a section called "Indent Item".  In theory, you could intent items as needed to create a sort-of sub-folder structure within a given module.  Would that work for your needs?

cwoodwar1
Community Participant

I also would like to create sub-modules within Modules that I then have independent control over, say for publishing/unpublishing, re-ordering, etc.  For example, I have laboratories in my class (12 of them throughout the semester) and I'd like to have LABS as a module, with Lab 1, Lab 2, Lab 3, etc as sub-modules.  Each lab has various resources, documents, etc that have to go with it so it'd be nice to be able to work with sub-modules.  I was able to do this in Desire2Learn.

naomi2
Community Participant

I find it really frustrating as Admin to set up Modules for Trainers, who very clearly require "sub folder" capabilities in Modules - I really think this is something that should be developed. Simply indenting files isn't nearly intuitive enough!

I'd like to have a Module for each of our classes, and inside that break into three sub folders for each "level" of learning, and then a sub folder inside that for activities or homework.

Eg:

General English

- Pre-Intermediate

- Activities

- Week 1-18

- Homework

- Intermediate

- Activities

- Week 1-18

- Homework

- Upper Intermediate

- Activities

- Week 1-18

- Homework

Accounting English

- Pre-Intermediate

- Activities

- Week 1-18

- Homework

- Intermediate

- Activities

- Week 1-18

- Homework

- Upper Intermediate

- Activities

- Week 1-18

- Homework

mkollman
Community Participant

Sounds like the answer is there is no way to have folder style organization using the native Canvas unless you try to use indention or a 3rd party provider.  I see they are voting folders for "Pages" up pretty high, so maybe this will resurface.  Thanks!