cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
storm1
Community Member

more choices for color of tiles

Jump to solution

I want to change colors of tiles on dashboard to colors not presently offered.  Where do these color numbers come from?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @storm1 

Finally an easy question I might almost be qualified to answer. You use HTML Hex codes, and these can be found on a number of websites, but this is the one I use HTML Color Picker 

Also, have you considered substituting a picture for the color overlay? Learn how at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12780-4152626354 

I hope this helps,

Kelley

View solution in original post

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

And if you make your own gif, you can set it to cycle a finite number of times, not infinite. If I were making a gif for the course card, that's what I would do.

In fact... hmmmmm............... I think you have inspired me to give that a try and then get students to make some animated gifs too! 🙂

11 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @storm1 

Finally an easy question I might almost be qualified to answer. You use HTML Hex codes, and these can be found on a number of websites, but this is the one I use HTML Color Picker 

Also, have you considered substituting a picture for the color overlay? Learn how at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12780-4152626354 

I hope this helps,

Kelley

Definitely agree with  @kmeeusen ‌ idea of using picture overlay for Dashboard courses:

284729_pastedImage_3.png

Would also recommend that students remove the colour background as well once you add in a picture by clicking on the traffic light icon on the Dashboard and unticking the Colour Overlay feature:

284728_pastedImage_1.png

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @storm1 ...

Just to complete the circle here (in case other people find this question), the following Guides detail how you can use hex code colors to change you Course Cards to whatever you want:

How do I view course cards in the Dashboard as an instructor? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10588-4212717404 

See the section on "Change Course Color".  Hope this helps David!

Bobby2
Community Coach
Community Coach

May I just add one little thing that won't affect teaching and learning but still hurts the eye.

Definitely untick the colour overlay option that  @GideonWilliams hared. 

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

I have some Canvas Tech Tips that my students can complete, and I include the note about turning off the color overlay in the Dashboard Tip:

Online Course Wiki / Canvas Dashboard 

As I've learned from the blog posts they write when they do this assignment, being able to give NICKNAMES to their classes is one of their absolute favorite Canvas features! I actually wish they could choose their own dashboard images too.

dashboard screenshot

Good point about nicknames laurakgibbs.

One more thing popped into my wee brain - gifs can be put in as a course card image. Could be a bit much if they are all flashing but the occasional groovy gif on the dashboard makes me smile. 

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

And if you make your own gif, you can set it to cycle a finite number of times, not infinite. If I were making a gif for the course card, that's what I would do.

In fact... hmmmmm............... I think you have inspired me to give that a try and then get students to make some animated gifs too! 🙂

Yes. My grade 3s loved making gifs.

Hi Laura,

Great Dashboard tips, thank you!

Does anyone know if we can globally turn off the colour overlay for the whole account? We would rather have the clear images being used and don't want to have to ask students to do that step.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kerri