cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hvos
Community Member

possible to copy a file Folder to a Module?

Jump to solution

I would like to copy a folder from my files into a Module - is that possible? I seem to have only the option of copying individual pages -

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @hvos ​...

After doing a little testing, I haven't found a way to add an entire folder from "Files" to the "Modules" screen.  It just appears that you can add a single file, but not an entire folder.  I also tried going to "Files", right clicking on a folder name, coping the URL location, going back to "Modules", and adding an item as an "External URL" to see what that looks like.  However, what I got was a Canvas instance inside of a Canvas instance...which looked pretty messy and could get really confusing...so I'd recommend staying away from that.  If the files could be stored in some other location on the internet (such as in Dropbox or Google Drive), you could try linking to a folder there, but I'm not sure if you want to store your course files outside of your course environment.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @hvos ​...

After doing a little testing, I haven't found a way to add an entire folder from "Files" to the "Modules" screen.  It just appears that you can add a single file, but not an entire folder.  I also tried going to "Files", right clicking on a folder name, coping the URL location, going back to "Modules", and adding an item as an "External URL" to see what that looks like.  However, what I got was a Canvas instance inside of a Canvas instance...which looked pretty messy and could get really confusing...so I'd recommend staying away from that.  If the files could be stored in some other location on the internet (such as in Dropbox or Google Drive), you could try linking to a folder there, but I'm not sure if you want to store your course files outside of your course environment.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@hvos , as Chris said, there is no good way to do this. My only suggestions for this are to either (1) add all of the files to the module - they would show up as individual files, but you can add multiple files at once to a Module by pressing and holding down the Ctrl button and then clicking on the names of the files you want to add, OR (2) add a page to the module and add all the files to this page, which would actually be pretty quick and easy to do because you already have the files uploaded and could just click on them (from the right add content tool) to add them to the page.

Hope this helps!

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

:smileyplus:1,  @kona ​! Creating a page for the files is an elegant way to accomplish this, especially if the files are embedded in the page in an eye-catching manner with each one accompanied by a few words of explanatory text.