"Attached files must be greater than 0 bytes"

Jump to solution
franklia
Community Novice

I'm trying to submit an assignment for which I have to attach two files, but every time I hit "Submit Assignment," it won't let me, giving the message , "Attached files must be greater than 0 bytes." Well, they are. For reference, the two files I'm trying to upload are a 13.5 KB Microsoft Word Document and a 1.75 MB PDF File. I tried to attach the files, here, but that, too, failed, giving me the message, "An unexpected error has occurred. Please make sure that your session did not expire while viewing this page." I have, however, attached screenshots of both the original issue and this new one. This assignment is due at 11:59 PM EST (UTC-05:00) tonight, so I really need this issue solved quickly. Can somebody please help me?

2 Solutions
mzimmerman
Community Contributor

Hello Andrew,

If I had to guess (without being able to see the full path name for the file from the error page), I'd guess that you're accidentally selecting a Windows shortcut to upload, not the actual Word or PDF file.  Make sure that you locate the folder where the actual file is saved--you should be able to see it in Windows Explorer, including the file size and other attributes.

The other possibility is that you're trying to upload a file that you don't have permissions for, but I suspect that would give a different error message.

Mike

View solution in original post

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, franklia...

In addition to the information that  @mzimmerman  gave you, I noticed that you are using the Edge browser.  In general, it's generally known here in the Canvas Community that using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox as your browser of choice will provide you a much better browsing experience.  This includes the ability to also submit assignments to your instructor(s).  See Which browsers does Canvas support?‌ for more information on this...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes