cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
josephkwashnak
Community Participant

"Missing" Pages in Pages List

Jump to solution

I know that when you open up Pages and get the list of pages, it displays only some of the pages and then as you scroll down it refreshes to show the entire list. But on a couple of occasions I've had pages omitted from the list (temporarily).  In one case I added new pages that would appear at the bottom of the list alphabetically, but they did not show up. The pages were there (I created another page with the same name and the system appended a number after the page (i.e: Week 1-2, adding on the -2).  I left the class, came back and went to pages again and suddenly I could see all of my pages.

On another occasion, I had attempted importing some content from another course, and then did not need this content, so I wanted to remove the pages. I went to the page list, and walked through to delete the unneeded pages from the other course. As I looked for these pages, several of them did not appear on the list (they happened to start with the letters N, O, P, R, and my list went from "Learning" to "Summer" without the pages in between which is why I noticed it). After deleting some other pages, I hit the "Show All Pages" button again to get the refreshed list and suddenly these pages reappeared.

Is this a "bug" in the system? Is there a proper place to submit a bug report?  It was incidental, but noticed, and not reproducible reliably so I didn't want to bother tech support.

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

josephkwashnak​, what you're describing definitely sounds like a bug of some type! My recommendation is next time it happens use Jing (or some other type of screen recording software) to record what's happening. This really helps tech support figure out what's going on!

Once you've got the recording then submit a Canvas Help Ticket - How do I get help with Canvas? - via "Report a Problem."

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

josephkwashnak​, what you're describing definitely sounds like a bug of some type! My recommendation is next time it happens use Jing (or some other type of screen recording software) to record what's happening. This really helps tech support figure out what's going on!

Once you've got the recording then submit a Canvas Help Ticket - How do I get help with Canvas? - via "Report a Problem."

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

josephkwashnak​...  I agree with  @kona ​ on this.  Also, I thought I'd also comment on the "-2" that you were seeing after the Page name.  My school is still pretty new to Canvas (about a year now), and when I started building Pages, sometimes I had content from our previous LMS that had the same name from Learning Plan to Learning Plan (Module to Module).  So, I was trying to mimic as best I could the setup from our previous LMS into Canvas.  I was hoping that I'd be able to re-use the same Page name in Canvas but just have different content in it each time it was used in the course (this is how it worked in our previous LMS).  But I soon learned that every page in Canvas has to have a unique name.  So, in your case, your "Week 1" Page has "-2" for the second time it's used because it's the second iteration of the page.  If you create another "Week 1", it would have "-3", and so on.

I know that's not a direct answer to your question, but I thought I'd give my experience working with Pages that have the same name.