cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
al702631
Community Member

"Q" showing up as quiz grade?

Jump to solution

A couple of my students completed online quizzes and received a "Q" as a grade. I have no clue what this means. Anyone?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Deactivated user​, when we've seen this in the past it was specific to a quiz that allowed multiple attempts. According to Support, the reason why you would see a yellow 'Q' in certain students' grades is that they submitted multiple attempts on the quiz and are waiting for the instructor to select which attempt to use and update it by scrolling to the bottom of the quiz in SpeedGrader and clicking "Update Scores."

Does this apply to your situation?

View solution in original post

10 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi Alisha -

It means it hasn't been graded yet; was there a short answer question that needs grading?  It often occurs when you have a mix of questions that are graded automatically with those that are not.  There is, by the way, a key to the Gradebook icons here:

What do the icons on the Grades page represent?

Ken

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Deactivated user​, when we've seen this in the past it was specific to a quiz that allowed multiple attempts. According to Support, the reason why you would see a yellow 'Q' in certain students' grades is that they submitted multiple attempts on the quiz and are waiting for the instructor to select which attempt to use and update it by scrolling to the bottom of the quiz in SpeedGrader and clicking "Update Scores."

Does this apply to your situation?

View solution in original post

Thank you both! This quiz does indeed allow multiple attempts. It's a little odd though that I only see about 10 Q grades. My class is 400+ students with 10 quizzes over the semester. At least now I know what it means! Thanks again!

brynd
Community Participant

I had to allow multiple attempts to a quiz for a couple students.   But of course I had to allow for all students.   Another student went in later to look at the quiz and see his mistakes and correct answers, however he accidentally hit "Submit quiz" again.   It shows up as ungraded in the gradebook, and when I look in Speedgrader, it only shows his 2nd (accidental) submission, though the grade still reflects the first submission.    I can't seem to find a way to select the correct attempt. . .  I can't seem to select an attempt.

Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 11.05.06 AM.png

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

You'll probably have to go and and actually "Grade" his wrong attempt. Or at least enter in a zero for any questions that need auto graded.

Also, for future reference, no, you don't need to open a quiz back up for everyone. You can use the Moderate quiz feature to only give specific students an extra attempt or extra time - Once I publish my quiz, how do I use the Moderate Quiz page?

boydm
Community Member

Stefanie,

Is this actually the issue? I'm leaning more towards a bug. As the original poster notes above, it only showed Q for 10 people. I just experienced the same issue in a class with 700 students. In my example, there were lots of students who had multiple attempts who did not get a Q

Of those that did get a Q, some had only one attempt.

And if this is intended behavior, then what would be the point of the "Score to Keep" setting in the quiz editor? Canvas is supposed to automatically assign a score, this would be a huge oversight if that wasn't the case.

@boydm ​, as you can imagine, it's difficult to troubleshoot and diagnose specific cases in the Community. If you're seeing unexpected behavior relative to your quiz settings, your best course of action is to start a support case so Canvas Support can have a look at the quiz and its settings.

aheaslip
Community Participant

This happened to me, and I believe I know the cause:

(I'm new to Canvas, so no judging!) I created a quiz in one course, then used Commons sharing to copy the same quiz to my other course shells. When the quizzes were copied into the other courses, the assignment category shifted from "Quiz" to "Imported Assignments." I thought this might be confusing for students when they looked at their grades, so I changed the category of the imported quizzes back to "Quiz."

However, when I changed the category of quizzes that students had already submitted, their number grades turned to the little "Q" icon. The only way I could return them to numbers was to "regrade" them -- that is, go in to each quiz one at a time and click "Updated scores" at the bottom. Once I did that, the icons changed to scores again.

Hope this helps.

dlipscomb1
Community Member

Hello all,

I've encountered the mysterious Q icons randomly replacing quiz score for certain students in one of my courses, but not others.  Here's some information on my experience with the Q icons popping up on the grades page.

The Q icons started replacing the numerical test score for a handful of students in a course where students are required to take tests (quizzes) administered in Canvas, using a computer in a campus testing lab, and requiring the Respondus lockdown browser.  The Q icons have not appeared for my other courses involving tests administered in class where scores are entered manually on the grades page.  To correct a Q icon errors, I have to open the student's completed quiz in Speedgrader, scroll to the bottom and click the update score button, then manually round the numerical score to a whole number.

Upon investigating the issue by questioning students who had Q icons appear, I discovered that all of the students had recently used the 'What if' grade feature in which students may enter different test scores in place of a posted score to see how a higher or lower score would affect their overall course average.  I confirmed with one student that the Q icon appeared immediately after she had entered alternative scores for that quiz.  I confirmed with another student that the Q icon only appeared when playing around with the score values for my course (involving a Canvas administered test using the Respondus browser) but not for other courses with classroom tests not administered inside Canvas.

Therefore, in my case, the random appearance of Q icons replacing test scores for certain students seems to be related to students using the 'What if' grade substitution feature, and also due to the fact that the test was administered in Canvas and/or possibly related to the use of the Respondus lockdown browser. 

To clarify, for this test, students were permitted only one attempt.  So allowing multiple attempts had nothing to do with the Q icons appearing in this case.  Also, I'd read that some observed the Q icons appearing when there were ungraded questions.  Again, this had nothing to do with the appearance of the Q icons in this case as all questions were graded immediately upon submission of the test.  The Q icons apparently appeared only for students who had experimented with different scores for the test as reported on the grades page.

If there is a solution for this problem, please let me know.  Thanks.