cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schweia
Community Member

{"error":"document_not_found"} when Students Submit Google Doc assignment on Canvas

When students submit a Google Doc for an assignment on Canvas (using Google Drive LTI add-on), it appears to be successful on the student side; however, on the instructor side, an error message is displayed in the preview pane when scoring the submission using SpeedGrader: {"error":"document_not_found"}.  When attempting to download the file, an error file is produced.  Screenshots of the preview pane and the error file are attached.

Any ideas as to what would be causing this issue and/or steps to take to resolve it?

11 Replies
amber_batten
Community Participant

We are having the exact same problem.  I've opened a support case.

bbaumgartner
Community Participant

Same here

john_erickson1
Community Participant

Same problem here. It seemed to begin when we added the Google Drive lti tool last week. Hopefully we can return to the previous assignment submission window that had a 'Google doc' tab.

csmith4
Community Member

Same here.  For me, this has happened with two different assignments this week.

bbaumgartner
Community Participant

It seems to be related to the Google Drive tab. When students used the Drive tab to upload their Google Doc it failed, but those that used the Google Doc tab were successful. A work around is to have them download the Google doc as a Word file to their computer first then upload from the saved file.

nathan_campbell
Community Participant

Here in Brookline, Massachusetts teachers first reported this issue early last week.

Issue: From what I understand, the issue has been manifesting itself when students submit to Canvas using File upload.
  • IF a student selects Google Drive, locates and submits an assignment from within Drive THEN teacher only sees an error message on the doc on the screen. The teacher did verify by looking at the student's screen to see that there actually is text in the doc. (Screenshot 1 of 2)
    • When a student, in turn, looks at their submission they see a random string of code (Screenshot 2 of 2)

Work-around that teachers are using: IF a student selects Google Doc, locates and submits an assignment from within Drive THEN the doc is fully viewable and SpeedGrader functions as it is suppose to.

Screenshot 1 of 2

272640_Screenshot 1 of 2.png

Screenshot 2 of 2

272641_Screenshot 2 of 2.jpg

lauren_fox
Instructure
Instructure

We are experiencing this here in Austin as well. I was able to replicate the issue in my own test course. Canvas has let us know that this is a "known issue". They have recommended that students download the file as docx or PDF from their Google Drive and then submit as a file upload not using the Google tab for online submissions. We were not told what is causing this or given a window for expected fix. My teachers and students are feeling frustrated because this was working reliably up until recently and was a fall back for when the Google External Cloud Assignment Tool submission wasn't working. Any glimmer of hope for anticipated returned functionality would help. We are still experiencing A LOT of issues with the Google External Cloud Assignment Tool as well. 

Hey Lauren,

We simply reverted to the old ‘Google doc’ tab. Though the name may be misleading (should say Google Drive?), at least this worked. I’m not sure what my administrator did to turn off the Google Drive LTI, but this prevented students from inadvertently submitting work using the ‘Google Drive’ tab.

Hope you are able to straighten out your issue soon.

<http://kernlearn.kernhigh.org/>

bcrook
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Support case opened on our end too.