Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sarahknight
Community Member

remove flickr

Is there a way to remove the flickr button for students? While Flickr is great for CCL materials, our younger students have found inappropriate images using this tool?

Tags (2)
5 Replies
rconroy
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @sarahknight ! 

Thanks for posting this question. Flickr seems to be a native integration, meaning its just something that lives within Canvas, its not a feature. Flickr grabs only from public resources, but I definitely understand how public resources can even be problematic or not appropriate for younger audiences. 

Here's a couple of suggestions to hopefully get you in the right direction on this one:

• you can submit a support ticket to support@instructure.com to see if perhaps Support can tighten up the filters for you and your institution. There may be a way through the Flickr API to tighten up those search results.
  • if Support can't help there, submitting a Feature Idea via Canvas Studio would be a great way to get the ball rolling on perhaps getting this to be a feature in upcoming releases. Reference the How do I create a new feature idea? guide for more insight on how that works. 
  • I would also say it's good to keep your CSM in the loop on that so they can help track and talk to Instructure directly about the traction on that idea. Smiley Happy 
  • Another idea comes to mind, but it may hinder you in the long run. You can always have a conversation with your local IT and talk about it amoungst your faculty to see if tightening up control on your firewall locally may help. However this may be to the disadvantage of teachers to do, so it's one of those routes that should be taken with a grain of salt depending on the severity of the situation. Smiley Happy 

I know we didn't have a direct answer to your question, but I hope this gives you a good starting point to getting something working! I'd also love to hear about how this turned out for you, so feel free to loop back once you get an answer! 

Actually, instead of directly emailing support, you can access them through your Canvas instance! use the How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor? guide to get in touch with them. Smiley Happy 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there,  @sarahknight ...

It's been almost two months since you first posted this question here in the Canvas Community and then received a response from Deactivated user‌ later that day.  Have you had an opportunity to review her feedback?  If so, did it help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help with your original question?  If you feel that one of Roxanne's replies has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  But, if you are still looking for some help, please come back to this thread to post a message below so that members of the Canvas Community can continue to assist you.  For now, since we've not heard from you, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions/comments below.  I hope that's alright with you, Sarah.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

ogranat

When we first started using Canvas in our school district, at one of our PD sessions a second grade teacher found a very explicit and unacceptable picture via Flickr (through Canvas) when she used the search feature to look up the name "Jenny". At that time Instructure was able to help us remove the tab so that we did not have to worry about any of our students stumbling upon inappropriate content. None of our teachers complained about not having Flickr through Canvas. With the upgrade to the new "look" of Canvas, the Flickr option was back and according to our CSM cannot be removed unless we can write our own code to remove it or pay Canvas to write the code. We just spoke to our CSM last week and he is trying to see if anything else can be done. I am also going to submit a ticket as was suggested, but thought I would share with the community as well. 

Bobby2
Community Champion

How did you get on with this Olga?