Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kimberly_olson

sort alpha by first names in grade book?

Jump to solution

Is there a way to sort alphabetically by first name in the grade book?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kimberly_olson ,

Currently, the grade book sorts by Last Name, First name.  You can find more information regarding sorting in the grade book here:

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12837-415255008 

Robbie

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kimberly_olson ,

Currently, the grade book sorts by Last Name, First name.  You can find more information regarding sorting in the grade book here:

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12837-415255008 

Robbie

0 Kudos
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@kimberly_olson  Welcome to the Canvas Community!  @Robbie_Grant ‌ has given you great information about the Gradebook (thanks, Robbie!). If your school is using the New Gradebook, you have the option to sort by first name or last name as described in https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13703-73553814170 

FWIW in the "classic" (old) Gradebook, you can use the Notes column to sort by first name, although it involves typing the first names into the Notes. But if you do that, you can sort the Notes column (with the students' first names), and it works.

I use the Notes column to sort on other things, not first name, but it would work for first names. 🙂

dheup
Community Participant

Excellent directions in the link. Is there a way I (as an administrator) can set the default order in all courses?

@dheup ‌,  there is no admin setting for this on the front end of Canvas, but it’s possible one of our talented members has figured out a way to do this—so consider posting a new question to the New Gradebook Users Group‌ with a share out to Canvas Admins‌ so it will attract their attention.

This fix did not work for me.

Even though the first name is listed, the A-Z function still sorts it by last name. I want it to put the students in alphabetical order based solely on their first name. This is because I have many university-provided documents that have the student's entire name in an excel column or on the document and I am only able to sort those by first name, since the last name is attached to their name and the column only recognizes the first letter. Additionally, there are many CSV files for grades from external sites that do the same, making grading unnecessarily tedious.

I can set it to show first name before last. But then, it still sorts by last name in the column. 

How can I get it to sort alphabetically by FIRST name?

I have followed all of the guides linked in this thread - none of the information mentioned in them work for sorting alphabetically by First Name.

Also, the Notes column fix did not work. It will not allow me to sort my notes column at all. There is no menu for that column and it is not an option.

Were you able to figure this out?  The link that is provided is not working.  So frustrating this isn't an option.

I am also trying to figure out how to sort by First name.

Canvas appears to sort by Last name regardless of whether I display names with Last name, First name or First name, Last name.

Also, the link above just gives me a 404: file not found error.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @jtroup  -  With the move to the new Community space, some of the links from older posts have gotten jumbled! I can try to help you find the one that was referenced!

How do I sort and display student data in the Gradebook? 

I was able to find a Feature Discussion that's open that addresses this need: Please allow sorting of students by first name in gradebook, as they are displayed.