cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MichaelNewhams
Community Member

student having trouble selecting a quiz answer

Jump to solution

I have one student who is claiming that three mc quiz questions would not allow her to select the correct answer.  The other mc questions worked fine.  Is this a possible? or is there a lack of truth occurring?

thank you,

Mike Newhams

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nwilson7
Community Champion

@MichaelNewhams for what it is worth I have seen a lot of crazy things happen with Canvas in Safari.  I have not seen where they could not pick the correct answer and could be pick others but I have seen something similar.  What I have seen is where they could not pick any answers (the buttons to click were not there) or it would pick like auto-pick choice "A" only. 

Personally I guess it would depend on when she brought this to your attention.  If she was having the issue it would make sense to say something right away prior to submitting or seeing any feedback so the instructor (you) could fix it or at least know she knew the correct answer and wanted to pick it.  Again, just to me, to say something after the fact makes it hard to know if it really occurred or not.  Good luck with this one!

-Nick

View solution in original post

5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @MichaelNewhams ...

Without being able to see the student's screen, this is a bit difficult to troubleshoot here in the Community.  I'm not sure if the Quiz Log would provide you with any insights from the student, but it might be worth checking out just in case: How do I view a quiz log for a student? - Canvas Community.  Also, the student may want to ensure that she is using an up-to-date web browser.  Generally speaking, Canvas works best when using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

What are the browser and computer requirements for Canvas?

I hope this will help a bit.  Please let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Take care....be well.

bowmanr
Community Champion

@MichaelNewhams 

I think @chofer makes a good point about the browser.  Hopefully the student emailed you their answers with the complaint.  If they were taking the quiz on a laptop, you could have them show you the issue in person - just create a dummy quiz and assign it to them for when they are talking to you.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

MichaelNewhams
Community Member

Thanks to you both.  She was using Safari, despite being told chrome is a safer bet.  the most odd thing is she is claiming that she could not click the correct answer but could click the wrong answers.  AND this only happened on 3 of the 12 MC questions.  She had a different issue on the last test as well. 
My actual query is if anyone thinks this oddity could ACTUALLY happen or does it sound like a kids being less than honest? so I can figure out how to grade this.

thanks again for your input.

Mike
nwilson7
Community Champion

@MichaelNewhams for what it is worth I have seen a lot of crazy things happen with Canvas in Safari.  I have not seen where they could not pick the correct answer and could be pick others but I have seen something similar.  What I have seen is where they could not pick any answers (the buttons to click were not there) or it would pick like auto-pick choice "A" only. 

Personally I guess it would depend on when she brought this to your attention.  If she was having the issue it would make sense to say something right away prior to submitting or seeing any feedback so the instructor (you) could fix it or at least know she knew the correct answer and wanted to pick it.  Again, just to me, to say something after the fact makes it hard to know if it really occurred or not.  Good luck with this one!

-Nick

View solution in original post

Thank you Nick!

I appreciate the confirmation.