cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carol_rogers
Community Member

timed quiz and available until

Jump to solution

If I give a timed one-hour quiz at 1 pm and set the available until time at 2:30, will students who start at 1 pm and time out still be able to view the quiz between 2:00 and 2:30?

Asking because I have a bunch of students who need extended time on the quiz.  For their sakes I have to make the Available Until time pretty generous.  

1 Solution
kmallen
Community Member

Hi  @carol_rogers ‌, it sounds like you are needing to use the Moderate Quiz feature instead of Available Until. Here's the difference:

• If you set up your quiz with a time limit, let's say of 50 minutes, your students can click on and take your quiz anytime in the window between the "Available From" and "Available Until" times. So if your quiz is available from 1-2:30, I can come in and start it at 1:45 for example.
  • If you are wanting to give students extra time for accomodations, you should use the Moderate Quiz feature. It's really nice—you just select the students who need extra time and put in how many extra minutes they get. (So if they get time-and-a-half on a 50 minute quiz, you would enter in 25 extra minutes. I've seen some faculty assume that field is the total time (e.g. 75) and give their students way more time than they intended.) 

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
kmallen
Community Member

Hi  @carol_rogers ‌, it sounds like you are needing to use the Moderate Quiz feature instead of Available Until. Here's the difference:

• If you set up your quiz with a time limit, let's say of 50 minutes, your students can click on and take your quiz anytime in the window between the "Available From" and "Available Until" times. So if your quiz is available from 1-2:30, I can come in and start it at 1:45 for example.
  • If you are wanting to give students extra time for accomodations, you should use the Moderate Quiz feature. It's really nice—you just select the students who need extra time and put in how many extra minutes they get. (So if they get time-and-a-half on a 50 minute quiz, you would enter in 25 extra minutes. I've seen some faculty assume that field is the total time (e.g. 75) and give their students way more time than they intended.) 

I hope this helps!

Hey  @kmallen ‌,

This was a great answer you gave!  Thanks for being so helpful to your fellow community members, especially in these difficult times.  Please check your direct messages for a small token of our appreciation. :0)

Thanks again for all that you do and keep up the good work!

Sincerely,

Canvas Community Team

Thanks for replying, but unless I am mistaken, I believe that this is not such an easy solution:  as I understand it, the extended time (via Moderate Quiz) will be overridden by the Available Until time for everyone else.  I have 500 students, and do not want to give everyone the ability to start the exam within a huge window by making the exam available for a long time.  

On the other hand, my solution of different Available times for different students doesn't work either.  I think that I will have to create a separate exam link for the extended-time students, to avoid giving the entire class the potential to start at any time in a 2.5 hour window (exam length + extended time).  This is important because a group of students will start at 12:30 pm (for 70 minutes normal time) while another will not start until 2 pm.  I don't want the "12:30 group" to have that much access to the exam.

Hello Kristen(, Canvas Team),

Thanks for posting your solution, I believe I have the same basic issue as Carole (I expect a common one) - I have several students (~10%) in my class who have accommodations for extra time.

1. At minimum, I would like a simple way to give them the extra time without impacting the settings (start and end times) for the other students- they don't all have the same amount of extended time.
  2. Ideally, I would like to be able to set their own individual start/end time.

In an online homework system (MasteringPhysics), for an assignment I can just click on the student and individualize all the assignment parameters for them (dates/times and grade/penalty adjustments). It seems that isn't possible with Canvas? 

I thought that your solution addressed 1., but is Carole correct that Available Until for the quiz overrides the Moderate Quiz extra time for an individual? I think had actually misunderstood  Available From/Until before now. It is the range they can start and then still have the full exam time, e.g. in your example a student could start the example at 2:25pm and then have 50 minutes (i.e. 45 mins after the exam is no longer available)?  If this is the case and I want my students to be taking it essentially at the same time, should I make my From/Until time something short like 10 minutes?

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Hello Carol,

This does not work as the "Until Time" in Canvas overrides the Moderate Quiz feature for students with accommodations. I actually tried what you said and it cut off the students with disability accommodations at the end time I gave the rest of the class. This is a serious flaw in Canvas. The only option is to give the students the allotted time for the test (ex. 75 minutes) but then hope they start on time and don't start later in an effort to cheat. 

0 Kudos
gwilli3

As I understand it and could probably find the Canvas articles explaining it, the Until date/time availability overrides the timer function and extra time given in Moderate this Quiz. 

So, if you give a test that has a time limit of 60 minutes but set the exam window so that it closes before 60 minutes is up, the tests will be submitted at that time.  This also applies to a situation where everyone gets 60 minutes but some get an additional 20 minutes the test will be submitted when the Until date/time is reached. 

I have always told the instructors I work with to provide enough time in the window so that both students with the 60 minute time limit and the students with the additional time can complete the test - so in this case the window should be at least 80 minutes.  I would give at least 30 additional minutes for possible issues.

The other option is to leave the Available Until date/time setting blank.  The students will still receive the time allocated to them to complete the test.

If you have a student who is actively taking the test and experiences technical difficulties, you can add additional time by clicking on the clock in Moderate this Quiz located on the row for that student.  I've not had a chance to determine whether the Until date/time interferes with that but I would assume it does.

0 Kudos

I am having the same problem. I am giving 75 minutes to 50 students in my class to take a test. I am giving 150 minutes to two additional students with disability accommodations. If I set an "Until" time it overrides the additional time that students with accommodations are getting. My only other option was to leave the "Until" time blank. The problem is that this allows for cheating. For example, the 75 minutes does not start until students open the test. So for example, if the test is scheduled from 2:00pm-3:15pm, if a student begins the test 10 minutes late, they will still get the 75 minutes and have from 2:10pm-3:25pm to take the test. This allows students to "send ahead" test questions to others. I have of course used other features where students can only see one question at a time, questions are randomized, and students are never allowed to see the correct answers. Even so, this has allowed for students to cheat via screen shot because they are not all taking the test simultaneously from 2:00pm-3:15pm. As a work-around I tried using the "Assign To" feature by assigning a different "Available From" and "Until" time for different students. For example, in the "Assign To" box I clicked on all of the students' names who were given 75 minutes and made the "Available From" time 2:00pm and the "Until" time 3:15pm. I then clicked "+Add" so that an additional box popped up and clicked on the names of the two students in that box who have double-time accommodation and set the "Available From" time to 2:00pm and the "Until" time to 4:30pm. I thought this would work, but the two students who had accommodations ran out of time at 3:15pm (the setting for everyone else in the class), rather than at 4:30pm which showed in their box. It was extremely frustrating. The only other solution I'm guessing is to create an entirely different quiz (and only assign it to specific students with accommodations, so only they can access it, and then create another Quiz link for students with regular time. This is not ideal as it creates extra columns in Gradebook and confuses students. Any solutions that Canvas can provide would be helpful. If there were no students with accommodations, I wouldn't run into a problem with the "sending ahead" answers as the "Available From" and "Until" times would be set in stone. However for some reason Canvas allows the "Until" time override both types of accommodation settings that faculty have tried to use, which is really frustrating. It seems like a quick fix, but getting Canvas to actually change it is an entirely different matter. 

0 Kudos

Hi, I think your method is in the correct direction, which assigns the quiz to two groups of students and set different until times.

But I think you need to manually add extra time to those DS students, in the "Moderate Quiz". For example, suppose the quiz time limit is 2 hours for other students, 3 hours for DS students. You can only set 2 hours time limit on the quiz page. It is a general setting for all students.

Then we can set the available time for all other students as 1:00 pm ~ 3:00 pm (or a litter late, say 3:05 pm, to ensure they can have a full 2-hour quiz time).

Next, we can set the available time for those DS students as 1:00 pm ~ 4:00 pm. 

However, this is not the end. 

We need to further go to the "Moderate Quiz" part and give 1 extra hour to those DS students. 

This time, it works. 

0 Kudos