Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daria_minina

to add a student into Canvas without sending them an e-mail that they are in Canvas

Jump to solution

We are in the process of onboarding new students, and are going to load them into Canvas but are wondering if it is possible to add them to Canvas without sending them the e-mails alerting them that they are in Canvas. We would prefer to let them know that information with the official welcome letter later rather than in the Canvas e-mail they would receive.

If we add people to unpublished course, do they receive an email, that they were added to Canvas?

Thank you in advance!

1 Solution
abunag
Community Champion

If the course is unpublished, there's no invite to students until the course is published.  The only way to truly add users without invites ever is to do it via SIS imports instead of adding them manually.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
abunag
Community Champion

If the course is unpublished, there's no invite to students until the course is published.  The only way to truly add users without invites ever is to do it via SIS imports instead of adding them manually.

wlopez
Community Member

I came up with a trick that I've started to use in those certain situations. I learned that users invited to a course in an Observer role (as long as they have a Canvas account, if Open Registration is enabled) are not sent a course invitation. (At my college we have Open Registration disabled, so any user we're able to add has to have an account anyway.)

How do I add users to a course? 

The fun part: I add as an Observer and no invitation is sent. Then, I go to Edit Role, and change to whatever role is needed- Student, Teacher, whatever. Stealth mode! Also avoided is the "Accept" bar on the Dashboard since there was no invitation in the first place. There are times you want these things, and times you don't.