cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daria_minina

to hide who created an announcement

Jump to solution

Hello!

I need to hide who created announcements for the course as it was done by IT assistant (for students not to be confused, who is that person who sent the announcement). Is it possible to do?

Thank you!

1 Solution
garth
Community Champion

This same issue exists when creating discussions.  When assisting with course builds for instructors, course designers names were appearing on the discussions, creating some questions from students and staff.  To get around this we used the same technique suggested by stefaniesanders​, our designers create the discussion in a sandbox course then import them into the live course.  I can confirm that this approach completely removes the name of the author from the content.

One other option is masquerading.  If your IT staff have the ability to "become" another user, they can post the announcement as you, with your name on it.

If you want no name associated with the announcement use the import method.

If you would like your name associated with the announcement, use the masquerading method.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@daria_minina ​...

There is nothing I know of in the current user interface that would allow you to hide the name of who created an announcement.  However, I will share your question with both the Canvas Admins​ and Canvas Developers​ groups here in the Canvas Community in hopes that your question will get some additional exposure.  I hope this helps, Daria!

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@daria_minina ​,  @Chris_Hofer ​ has given you great advice. Without customizing your Canvas account, it is not possible to hide the creator of a course announcement; by design, the author of the announcement always displays where the announcement is created.

However, since you're using teaching assistants or IT assistants to create content, I would suggest this workaround: Have the assistants create the announcements (and discussions, if they're creating that content as well, because the same authoring principle applies there) in a sandbox course, and then task someone with importing those announcements into the "live" course. The author(s) of the announcements will not appear in the live course.

garth
Community Champion

This same issue exists when creating discussions.  When assisting with course builds for instructors, course designers names were appearing on the discussions, creating some questions from students and staff.  To get around this we used the same technique suggested by stefaniesanders​, our designers create the discussion in a sandbox course then import them into the live course.  I can confirm that this approach completely removes the name of the author from the content.

One other option is masquerading.  If your IT staff have the ability to "become" another user, they can post the announcement as you, with your name on it.

If you want no name associated with the announcement use the import method.

If you would like your name associated with the announcement, use the masquerading method.

tdarrow
Community Contributor

This is very helpful to know,  @garth ​. I was able to test this on one of my courses and it copied the discussion header and description over. However, it removed all comments of the other users from it as well. Is that normal?

garth
Community Champion

When you copy the discussion, think of it as copying an "assignment".

The original discussion contains posts and replies specific to that instance of the course, and specific to that instance of the discussion.

When you copy the discussion it is creating a new instance of that discussion, so you are starting a new instance of that discussion.  It is not a continuation of the original discussion.

I hope that makes sense.

tdarrow
Community Contributor

Yep that makes sense, thank you!