cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kconza0953
Community Member

uploading files

Jump to solution

Hi so I'm having so much trouble uploading any files to my teacher and send it in even when i connected google docs it says "select a file below" but theres nothing to click on and its just one particular class because i tried with my other classes and the filed do upload

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

@kconza0953  

The description makes it sound like  @chofer ‌'s second suggestion is the most likely culprit.

If the teacher has restricted the file type to DOC, the format used by Microsoft Word before 2007, then no files will show up in the Google Doc file list.

254732_pastedImage_1.png

If the teacher allows for the DOCX format, which is used by Microsoft Word since 2007, then you should get a list of any Google Documents that you have.

254733_pastedImage_2.png

The teacher may have specific file types in mind and be unwilling to yield, but it may be a case of still thinking that the .doc extension is a Word file instead of .docx. This is especially a problem because the example text in Canvas shows doc,xls,txt and not docx,xlsx,txt. Many instructors think because the example shows doc that it is what should be used instead of docx. It's a legitimate and common misunderstanding.

If the teacher wants to make sure that they can get both old and new versions of Word documents, then they should specify both DOC and DOCX in the allowed file types. Put them in lower-case, without a dot, and separated by a comma.

This is what the teacher sees when setting up the assignment.

254734_pastedImage_3.png

Note that the Website URL is a separate thing, it's not necessary, but the example assignment I had allowed for it and I forgot to turn it off.

I would contact your instructor, but if the assignment is due soon, you will want to take your Google Doc and convert it to an older version of Microsoft Word and turn that in so it's not late.

If you have Microsoft Office, then you can choose File > Download As > Microsoft Word (.docx) from your file in Google Docs. Then open it up in Microsoft Word and choose File > Save As. When you get to the location where you want to save, it change the "Save as type" to "Word 97-2003 Document"

254735_pastedImage_5.png

If you don't have access to Microsoft Word, then there may online tools that will do the conversion for you. I haven't used these, but a Google search for online convert docx to doc turned up several.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @kconza0953 ...

Sorry to hear that you are having some difficulties uploading files to your instructor in one of your courses.  You've posted your question here in the global Canvas Community website where people from around the world come to ask questions about the Canvas LMS (Learning Management System).  While the majority of people here in the Community won't be able to answer specifics about your course (because we wouldn't have access to your school's Canvas environment), we might be able to assist by asking some general questions.  For example:

• What browser are you using?  Typically, it is recommended that you use either Chrome or Firefox vs. Internet Explorer or Edge.  This is particularly true when it comes time to submit assignments to your instructor.
  • Is your instructor limiting the kinds of file types (ex: *.doc, *.docx, *.pdf) that are allowed to be submitted for the assignment in question?
  • You mentioned Google Docs.  When you submit files to your instructor for the other course, are they also having you submit work via Google Docs?  Or, does the screen look different in that course compared to the one that you are having difficulties with?
  • Have you reached out to your instructor for the course to see if he/she would be able to check the assignment settings on his/her end?  You can contact your instructor by clicking on the "Help" icon on the left hand side of your Canvas environment and then click on "Ask Your Instructor a Question".  You'll then select the name of your course and then type your message.

If you can provide some additional detail for us here in the Community, that would be great.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon, Kelly!

James
Community Champion

@kconza0953  

The description makes it sound like  @chofer ‌'s second suggestion is the most likely culprit.

If the teacher has restricted the file type to DOC, the format used by Microsoft Word before 2007, then no files will show up in the Google Doc file list.

254732_pastedImage_1.png

If the teacher allows for the DOCX format, which is used by Microsoft Word since 2007, then you should get a list of any Google Documents that you have.

254733_pastedImage_2.png

The teacher may have specific file types in mind and be unwilling to yield, but it may be a case of still thinking that the .doc extension is a Word file instead of .docx. This is especially a problem because the example text in Canvas shows doc,xls,txt and not docx,xlsx,txt. Many instructors think because the example shows doc that it is what should be used instead of docx. It's a legitimate and common misunderstanding.

If the teacher wants to make sure that they can get both old and new versions of Word documents, then they should specify both DOC and DOCX in the allowed file types. Put them in lower-case, without a dot, and separated by a comma.

This is what the teacher sees when setting up the assignment.

254734_pastedImage_3.png

Note that the Website URL is a separate thing, it's not necessary, but the example assignment I had allowed for it and I forgot to turn it off.

I would contact your instructor, but if the assignment is due soon, you will want to take your Google Doc and convert it to an older version of Microsoft Word and turn that in so it's not late.

If you have Microsoft Office, then you can choose File > Download As > Microsoft Word (.docx) from your file in Google Docs. Then open it up in Microsoft Word and choose File > Save As. When you get to the location where you want to save, it change the "Save as type" to "Word 97-2003 Document"

254735_pastedImage_5.png

If you don't have access to Microsoft Word, then there may online tools that will do the conversion for you. I haven't used these, but a Google search for online convert docx to doc turned up several.

View solution in original post

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kconza0953 ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie