Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mschuring

video playback controls canvas iOS

Jump to solution

Is anyone else having issues with video playback in the Canvas for iOS app?  I don't see any playback options, like their are on the web version.  Am I missing something or is there a work around?

I submitted a feature request, in case there is not a feature for this already.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mschuring ​:

Good question. Unfortunately the video controls for iOS aren't available when you embed a file directly into a module, or tap on it directly from the files section.

My workaround is to:

1) Create a new page

2) Upload and embed the video using the Media Comments Tool - How do I upload a video using the Rich Content Editor? | Canvas Instructor Guide | Canvas Guides

3) Add the page to your module

This will force the video to open in the native video controls for iOS. 

If this doesn't work, then you will have to look into uploading your video to a third party service such as YouTube or Vimeo.

Let me know if this helps,

Ryan

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'm not sure of the answer to this, but I'm going to share it with the Canvas Mobile Users​ group to see if they can help!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @mschuring ​...

I wanted to check in with you because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since  @kona ​' response on October 26th.  Have the video playback issues been resolved on your iOS device?  I just checked, and the latest version of the Canvas app is 3.15.3, so maybe there have been improvements to the app since you posted your question?  In this version (released November 3, 2016), they fixed a bug that caused media uploads to fail occasionally.

I am going to tag  @rseilham ​ in this post to see if he has come across any issues lately.  I know that he's big into mobile, so he'll probably have some good insights for you.

Hope this helps, Matt!

Hi Chris,

Thank you for sending this response. I just checked on one of my videos and it still does not have any video playback controls in the Canvas for iOS app.  The students are able to watch the video, but cannot pause it, rewind it or skip. They can only watch start to finish. If they miss something, they have to watch the entire video again. I'm attaching a screenshot to show what the video looks like in my class.

Thanks,IMG_0161.PNG

rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mschuring ​:

Good question. Unfortunately the video controls for iOS aren't available when you embed a file directly into a module, or tap on it directly from the files section.

My workaround is to:

1) Create a new page

2) Upload and embed the video using the Media Comments Tool - How do I upload a video using the Rich Content Editor? | Canvas Instructor Guide | Canvas Guides

3) Add the page to your module

This will force the video to open in the native video controls for iOS. 

If this doesn't work, then you will have to look into uploading your video to a third party service such as YouTube or Vimeo.

Let me know if this helps,

Ryan