when typing a reply to a professor is all work lost if you exit before hitting send?

Jump to solution
kcorder1
Community Novice

My professor gave us a homework assignment and there was a box at the bottom to respond it was around 1000 words and I walked away for a minute and my mom exited out the tab and when I came back all my work was gone is there a way to bring it back.

0 Likes
1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @kcorder1  Welcome to the Canvas Community, and I'm so sorry to hear that this happened to you. Believe me, it has happened to all of us at one point or another.  To directly answer your question, the universal commend for "UNDO" is Ctrl-Z (Command-Z) if you are using a Mac, meaning press down on the Ctrl/Command key, and while holding it down tap the letter Z on your keyboard.  Unfortunately, this only works right after the material is gone.  If you have already started typing something again, I'm afraid it will no longer work but rather recover whatever it was you did right before then.

To give you a heads-up, if your instructor is going to be using text box-type of assignments a lot (the other major area for this is in Discussion topics), we in the Community will usually highly recommend that you type out your response in a word processing program or somewhere that it can saved.  This is especially important for longer material, such as a 1000 word response!

Now that you have a Canvas Community login, I encourage you to vote "up" this Feature Idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1300-auto-save-in-rich-content-editor .  Also, in June Canvas will be releasing a new rich content editor, and while that still does not have a save feature (yet), that Feature Idea that I linked to is where any future development will head towards.

Hope this helps a bit, Kloie....or at least will help you in the future.  Good luck with your studies!

View solution in original post

0 Likes