Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BROEKERC
Community Participant

word count in discussions?

Jump to solution

Hello. 

Does anyone know if there is a way to get a word count in discussion postings?  Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

BROEKERC​,

Unfortunately this feature is not available at this time.  There is a feature request currently out there that I recommend you add your vote and voice to: ​.

The only workaround would be to copy and paste the posting into Word or another text editor.

Robbie

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

BROEKERC​,

Unfortunately this feature is not available at this time.  There is a feature request currently out there that I recommend you add your vote and voice to: ​.

The only workaround would be to copy and paste the posting into Word or another text editor.

Robbie

View solution in original post

BROEKERC
Community Participant

Hi Robbie.  Thanks so much for the feedback and the link for voting.  Hopefully we will see this feature soon.

scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

OK, good news;  While I can't share a specific timeline, it looks promising that we will be able to add a word count to the rich content editor where a user will see a running count as they are typing in the editor.  Hopefully this will happen in the next few release cycles - again, no promises, but we are working on it.

kblanchard
Community Participant

Anyone know if the word count for discussions will be revisited?  It would be soooo helpful!

Hi 

I've had to use four different LMS's among the schools I teach for. One of them just switched from a different LMS to yours, but the other LMS automatically listed Word Count in discussion forum, whereas Canvas doesn't. Having to copy and paste into Word to get a word count is going to get very tedious and is going to make it seem like a step backwards for many faculty who've gotten used to seeing it automatically displayed for them. Looks like this issue has been stuck since at least 2015. Any plans for putting this on the front burner soon?

@cmcelmurray ‌, the best place for updates on this topic and to share your feedback is the Feature Idea for this - https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1341-word-count" modifiedtitle="true" title="Word Count. Right now the idea is on Product Radar and I would recommend voting and commenting on it. 

stade
Community Member

I would like to know if this feature request has been added? We have faculty requesting this.

JC74
Community Member

Why is it soooooooo difficult for Canvas to include a word count for Speed Grader.  Every other grading platform has it.  It's clearly such a no-brainer!  Ahhh, that must be the issue.

Tags (1)
BenJam1n
Community Member

I am still looking for a discussion post word count too.