cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Canvas by Instructure Release Notes (iOS 3.10)

In this update, the To Do list allows users to hide completed items, and students on iPad devices can hide or show grades on the Dashboard. All users also benefit from speed and caching improvements.

Download the Canvas by Instructure app in the iTunes Store. Version 3.10 requires iOS 8.0 or later.

Updated Features

< BACK TO TABLE OF CONTENTS

Dashboard

To Do List

The To Do List has been redesigned to allow users to hide items in the to-do list. Swipe an assignment or event to hide the item.

to-do list.png

Grades (iPad)

On the iPad, students can now choose whether or not to show their overall course grade. Tap the Show Grades link at the top of the app. To hide grades, tap the Hide Grades link.

grades.png

Labels (1)
17 Replies
tom_gibbons
Community Contributor

I only make the required content required. The sequential order setting is only for required items. And even if it were for all items, I have no real problem with requiring a student to view an optional item--they don't have to complete it or interact with it, just clap their eyes on it.

Regardless, the sequential checkbox currently only applies to module completion requirements, not all module content. Once your students get to the optional content, they can just skip over it and go on to the next required module item. 

tom_gibbons
Community Contributor

See my comment above, about the sequential order checkbox.

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

I'm sure sequential modules are ideal for many courses. But sometimes students need to do something offline by a certain date, and that offline activity can't sensibly be made a module requirement (e.g., textbook readings, or something that has to be brought to class). And sometimes students need to complete a practice activity by a particular date, but not as a prerequisite for another assignment (e.g. I need my students to take a practice quiz to confirm that they know how to find/input IPA symbols, early enough that they can drop the class with no penalty if they find it too difficult). And sometimes there are assignments with multiple parts (e.g., discussions where you need to post by a certain date and then reply by a certain date) and I don't want students to first discover part I when they are trying to complete part 2--that is too late.

Besides, we shouldn't all have to tie assignments into clumps just so students know about them. Either let us turn off the "to do" list or include everything that has a deadline on the "to do" list. A partial "to-do" list causes more problems than it solves.

tom_gibbons
Community Contributor

I'm not sure I follow. Everything that has a deadline (i.e., a due date) does appear on the To Do list. Calendar entries don't, but they do show on the "Coming Up" list in the browser version.

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

Everything that has a deadline (i.e., a due date) does appear on the To Do list.

No, unfortunately, it does not. More detail here: " modifiedtitle="true" title="Put everything with a deadline into the to-do list

I haven't spent a lot of time comparing the iOS to-do list with the android & browser to-do lists, but I assume they are all compiled in the same way.

tom_gibbons
Community Contributor

Hey! You're absolutely right!

I used to use the 0-point, no submission assignment to pop things into the To Do list, instead of the Coming Up list. I haven't done it in a year or two, so that's a surprise.

A strategy that might work, until they get this shaken out, is to create a weekly guide page for the course, and put all of the readings, non-graded stuff, etc on it. Then put the guide into a module, make it the only required item, require sequential completion, and then put the assignments that are due that week into the same module (no need to put anything else into the module, nor to make the assignments required). If I were going to engage this strategy, I would also hide the Modules page from the navigation, since you're just using it to force the students to read the overview. You could also rotate the weekly plan as the home page for the week.

I know this approach creates some problems--if you want someone to read the details of a high-stakes assignment several weeks before it's due, that could be an issue. But I suppose you could just not put it in a module, but link to it in the week that you introduce the assignment.

Whether you use module controls or not--and I only use them when the occasion warrants--and whether you use modules or not (again, I don't always), I find that providing a periodic plan page has functionally eliminated complaints about not knowing that something was due. 

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

Yeah, I may wind up doing something like this if the To Do list stays the same. It'll take some thought to figure out how to incorporate all of the non-to-do-list tasks, and I'm not looking forward to the extra work, but chasing down students and warning them to not rely on the to-do list is also extra work.

Thanks for the suggestion.

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Kelley,

Just as a followup to these notes, the app is based on Canvas APIs. So being able to change the To Do list functionality would have to be a feature request and a change to core Canvas to make that happen.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,

Erin