cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

InstructureCon Release Notes (2015-06-17)

In this InstructureCon release (06/17), Canvas unveils a new interface structure designed for easier navigation and an enhanced responsive user experience across several elements.

The new Canvas interface design is still actively being worked on as a feature option and is set to release to production later this year. We are currently enabling the feature option selectively to admins and institutions as an early access Beta release. This process will help facilitate further development through the summer while letting users access the new and improved Canvas interface. Currently this feature is only available in Beta. If your institution is interested in enabling this feature in Beta, please contact your Customer Success Manager (CSM). Production availability will be announced in a future release.

Global Dashboard & Navigation

Canvas has improved the user experience by restructuring the Dashboard and Global Navigation Menu. These changes support best practices in software design, keep Canvas competitive in the industry, and complement the ways users interact with Canvas on any device.

The Global Dashboard includes a cleaner, lighter design that simplifies the course entry for students and instructors and provides a better way to display Canvas activity and take action on outstanding items. It also supports both a course view and a recent activity view, which can be toggled at the top of the Dashboard based on user preference.

New-UI-Dashboard-Tiles.png

The Global Navigation Menu has been redesigned on the left side of the interface to allow more room for content on smaller resolution devices. All users can easily navigate with a clear path of where they are within the application and how to view another feature area quickly and effectively. Users can view any top-level or secondary page in Canvas, such as Courses, Groups, Grades, Calendar, Inbox (Conversations), and Profile. Users with Admin rights can also easily access their Account information with the Account icon.

Users can continue to receive help in Canvas by clicking the Help icon located at the bottom of the Global Navigation Menu. Applicable links continue to expand into a menu for quick reference to the desired user area.

Responsive Design

Canvas has been reworked to support a more responsive layout. Features include a condensed course navigation that collapses on smaller screens, allowing for a more content-focused layout. Additionally, other improvements are being made around Canvas areas to help it support smaller device resolutions.

Responsive-Course-1.png

Responsive-Course-2.png

Labels (1)
71 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

I love the new interface, less scrolling Smiley Happy

I wonder how Instructure is going to provide for help pages with two different interfaces, the current one and the new one! I assume eventually Instructure will make the new interface the only one available.

Also, will we have the option to decide when to implement the new interface in our production instance?

Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Larger changes like this are always behind a Feature Flag at first so your institution can decide when to turn it on for everyone. Before it becomes the only option there is always an announcement in the release notes (among others) but I'd say you have a little time. 🙂

Highlighted
Learner II

In the first screenshot, the icons on each class are in a different order. Does that mean something? On the biology class, the announcement icon has a blue bar, I assume that replaces the blue dots to indicate an unread or new item? Are the four icons present under each class the only icons that will appear on a class, and are those icons the exact same functionality from the current activity stream? 

I like the new look, and my questions indicate my enthusiasm. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Member

Looks great! Eager to try it out. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Leris,

Documentation always reflects all the feature options available in the production environment, which will also ultimately include the new Canvas design. So when the new UI has proven itself and is made available in production, all the documentation will be updated as well. To give everyone time to adjust, the new UI will share with the current one until mid next year. The new UI basically just moves the Global Navigation to the side of the screen instead of the top, so institutions who choose not to enable the feature option right away should not have too much difficulty since the rest of Canvas is not functionally affected. 

Hope that helps!

Erin

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Dallas,

I am not actually sure if they are intended to be in a separate order; I will send your inquiry to our UI team. As for the bar, yes in that view it replaces the dots. If you toggle the view (click the box to the left of the To Do list), you can see the same information is just viewed differently.

Hope that helps!

Erin

Highlighted
Explorer II

I've always liked the iOS app and enjoy the (seeming) port to the web platform. Next year, every traditional student will have iPads for their coursework and I'm very excited to see what this change will bring to our workflows for introducing and everyday use of/support for Canvas from a student perspective.

Nicely done! Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Lamplighter II

I have a couple of questions.

Where will the link to the commons be?

What happens when an instructor has several courses on their list? Can they still favorite courses or hide courses they don't want to see?

Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Here are a couple awesome guides with beautiful screenshots to show you a little of what Commons looks like, but the short answer is that the link will be in the top navigation. Commons doesn't change your course list, so you can still favorite and hide courses just like you always have. 🙂

What is Canvas Commons?

Unanswered Topics
No posts to display.