cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
audra_agnelly
Community Champion

Favorite stars are gone, and courses are missing from the dashboard

I'm seeing recently that the stars have disappeared from C4E courses on the All Courses page. I know that was a recent update to make all active courses "favorites", but it doesn't appear to be functioning correctly. Some active courses are missing from the dashboard and with the star missing there's no way to bring them back. 

An additional issue with this is that we also have some staff assigned to student as observers who do not need to support all courses and do not need to see them on their dashboards. In the past they could hide the courses they didn't want to see/weren't focused on. What's most pressing is that my case managers and home and hospital teachers cannot easily navigate to the Canvas courses that they need access to  from their dashboards and they need this access to provide services to their students.

I've submitted this ticket with a specific teacher and courses ( 08066590 )

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
audra_agnelly
Community Champion

@jsailor @peytoncraighill 

I'm getting additional reports of this for staff with a student role in a course. They are also not seeing the course on their dashboard and do not have access to the stars. I have not had reports from students yet, but am concerned that they are impacted by the recent update to favorites.

TheDr
Community Member

I don't know if this will help, but does switching back to the "classic view" or "Card view" give those teachers back the functionality that they are looking for? When I tried it on my account, I was able to access my dashboard in the previous manner while still maintaining access to the "Homeroom" view (Elementary Dashboard) that I could toggle back to.

audra_agnelly
Community Champion

Nope, the first teacher was actually in classic view. Stars/no stars appears to be tied to the subaccount setting for the course. Courses in accounts with C4E turned on don't have the stars.

I am totally snowballing here, but I wonder if a low-level admin permission add would trump that. I am experimenting with permissions in our one sub-account that is using C4E and I will let you know what we come up with or if it works. I'm hopeful that we can ferret out a solution.

audra_agnelly
Community Champion

Debbie Downer here, it was a staff member with a low level (view-content only) admin role the first brought it to my attention. The reply from support was (paraphrased) "things break when you give an account all the roles"

audra_agnelly
Community Champion

I just want the stars back. Staff have lost too much with this update.

audra_agnelly
Community Champion

All, I'm going in circles with support on this. My teachers had courses on their dashboard before the update to the stars and now those courses (where they were a participant or an observer) are gone from the dashboard. Because the stars are gone, they have no way to mark these courses as favorites and get them back on their dashboards. My understanding of the rationale behind removing the stars was that we didn't want elementary students losing a course from their dashboard because they accidentally unstarred it. Now I have teachers who have not unstarred their course and have lost them from their dashboard anyways. L2 Support is telling me this is intended behavior and that teachers need to go to all courses to find these courses instead of the easy navigation of the Dashboard/Home screen:

"This is a behavior that has been determined to be intended with Elementary Canvas and student and observer roles. The ability to favorite a course isn't an option with those roles. The student/observer can get to the courses from all courses on the left side of Canvas. The dashboard for these users do show favorited courses as other courses they have teacher roles or Elementary Canvas isn't the theme for the course and they have the ability to favorite a course."

@jsailor is this being looked at?

jsailor
Instructure
Instructure

Hi, @audra_agnelly, thanks for tagging me in your latest response. I'll touch base with our engineers and @peytoncraighill on this issue. This should not have affected anyone with teacher roles, only those that have nothing but student enrollments. We'll be in touch again soon.  

audra_agnelly
Community Champion

thanks @jsailor . To clarify, the issue is impacting teachers in our district, but no the courses where they have teacher enrollments, it's impacting courses where the teacher has a student enrollment or an observer enrollment.

• Each school has a "staff community" in their subaccount. Most staff in a school have a student enrollment in that course and it disappeared from their dashboard when the star update came through. It's under "all subjects" but they can no longer 'favorite' the course to get it back on their dashboard.
  • Staff with an Observer role see inconsistent courses on their dashboard. Some are there and some are only accessible under "all subjects". Again, without the star, they can't customize the courses cards they see/don't see on their dashboards