cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gcarlucc
Community Participant

No Grades on Grades Tab, Despite Having Grades

Parents have reported not being able to see grades on the Grades tab. The message is, "You don't have any grades yet," but in fact, students do. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

2021-08-27_11-47-59.jpg

If you note the URL, after the course ID number, it will have #grades. There is a workaround if you are having this issue. Tell parents/observers to change the # to a / (forward slash). This will take the observer to the classic, individual assignments view. From there, they can navigate between courses. Hopefully Canvas engineers can correct this. Please let me know if you've found a way to use the Grades tab as intended.

17 Replies
audra_agnelly
Community Champion

Thanks for sharing. Long ago we had enable a button in the global nav to go directly to the grades over view page. Those are still the classic Canvas links to grades, but I completely missed that the Observer does not see grades at all when they click that tab. I know observer enhancements are coming but it's going to be really problematic for that tab to come up blank for parents.

christopher_gil
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

A hack around this is IF parents have multiple students AND if those students were NOT in a C4E course, the parent can navigate to their non-C4E kids course and find grades from C4E courses there.  Just a hack, not a long term solution.

Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 12.47.34 PM.png

jsailor
Instructure
Instructure

@gcarlucc, we completely agree that observers (parents) need to see the grades. We will look into this and get back to you with more information soon.  

ddolanch
Community Member

Yes. I NEED grades to be posted in the grades tab (for the student, I'm not concerned about observers). My Pre-K students don't receive regular report cards, so their 'grades' don't show in our regular report card system, but I have certain things I NEED to have families do as assignments. I NEED for students and families to be able to see if they are getting these things done. Having a zillion different systems and workarounds does NOT work for my students' families - they need clean, simple, and streamlined, especially because many are non-native English speakers and many more are not technologically proficient. Having a tab is not useful if it doesn't provide the information needed easily and quickly; it just confuses things. Thanks for bringing it up!

jsailor
Instructure
Instructure

@ddolanch, do you have students that are not seeing grades as expected? Our understanding was that this was only an issue for observers.  

ddolanch
Community Member

So, the students can see their grades, but I can't see an example in "Student View." I'm not sure why the Test Student's grades don't show as an example, but I asked my students' families and they can see the grades, so that's good. My only suggestion to Canvas for the Elementary template would be to add the Test Student's grades in there so I can see what it looks like. I often have to walk families through accomplishing a task, step-by-step and click-by-click, so it's much easier if I can see exactly what they see.

dcrandall
Community Participant

@jsailor We are also receiving reports that parent observers are unable to view grades in C4E. 

Don Crandall
PCSD EHMS Tech Coach

jsailor
Instructure
Instructure

Thanks for confirming, @ddolanch and @dcrandall. The ticket to fix the issue with observers seeing grades is in the final stages of review. I'll post an update as soon as I have information regarding when the fix will go live.

As for the test student grades, @ddolanch, we are looking into this with the team and will update soon.  

gcarlucc
Community Participant

Hi @jsailor . Just checking on the status of the ticket, as you said it was in the final stages last Wednesday. Thanks!