Accessing Your Canvas Data with CanvasDataViewer: Encore

Community Team
Community Team
4 9 2,958

CanvasDataViewer is used to automatically download Canvas Data files into a SQL Server database where you can query and analyze the information. In this webinar you can get a guided tour of CanvasDataViewer and find what it takes to set it up and host it.

Project Description

Our project is used to automatically download Canvas Data files into a SQL Server database where you can query and analyze the information. Canvas Data files are very large--currently a full download includes at least one file for each of 82+ tables, and some tables require more than one file. For a large campus each daily download can include more than 8GB of files that contain millions of database records. Manually downloading Canvas Data files from the Canvas web interface and loading them into a database can take hours. Our CanvasDataViewer automates this process. When set up with a SQL job agent to run the process at night, you can come to work every morning with fresh Canvas Data waiting for you to analyze.

Who will find this useful?

We think the most likely use case will be campuses that want to evaluate the Canvas Data product as a source of information for teachers and program managers. When schools implement a long-term Canvas Data program they will most likely want to purchase a license for a hosted data repository like Amazon Redshift that can automatically accept Canvas Data. CanvasDataViewer may be suitable for long-term use--we have built the system to download the latest data schema from Canvas and built the database table to suit. 

(Due to popular demand, we are offering this encore presentation of the Tuesday, July 18, 2017 event.)

EVENT TIP
Always RSVP to an event (whether it's yes/no/maybe). It's a great way to get updates about this session, participate in follow-up discussions, and be notified of upcoming events similar to this topic or with this host. (NOTE: You must activate your community account before RSVPing to any CanvasLIVE event.)
9 Comments
Community Member

Hey everyone, just a friendly reminder that the event, Accessing Your Canvas Data with CanvasDataViewer: Encore, will begin in approximately 1 hour. The event will be held in GoToMeeting and the link to join the event is https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/7563114262341962241  

Community Member

Is this being recorded?  I had the date wrong (thought it was partner day) and time wrong (time zone), so can't attend after all, but would love to watch a recording if available.

Community Member

Special recognition goes out to wjones20@emich.edu Thank Youfor leading this event. Bill has received 50 points for setting up and facilitating this great session!

For more on how YOU can host a CanvasLIVE event, check out How do I set up a CanvasLIVE event? or join the Community User Group: CanvasLIVE!

Community Member

Hey davids@tabor.edu. Yes, the event was recorded and will be posted once it is available. Thanks for your interest!

Surveyor II

Hi, we are also very interested in this webinar, but was not able to attend. Is the recording available now? Thanks. 

Community Member

Responding here so I will receive notification when this webinar is available.  Thanks 🙂

Community Member

Please add me to the list of those wanting the webinar link. I arrived late, and without the info that had been presented earlier, I had a hard time following. My colleague wasn’t able to log on at all.

Community Member

Please add me to the list of those wanting the webinar link. Excellent presentation.

Community Member

Hey everyone! If you were looking for the slide deck or recording from this session here they are! The slides are attached to the top of this event and the video recording is available at CanvasDataViewer Encore Recording. Note: You will need to enter a name and email address to view the recording. Thanks again wjones20@emich.edu and mking11@emich.edu for all your work on this event.