Building a Library of Free Online Books

Explorer III
8 6 668

(June 15, 2017) Presented by laurakgibbs

For session details, additional resources and follow-up discussions, please visit the event page: https://community.canvaslms.com/events/2034-building-a-library-of-free-online-books 

6 Comments
Community Coach
Community Coach

Be sure to watch the entire "Connected Learning with Cats" series, hosted and developed by laurakgibbs‌ to claim the badge (below).

240404_pastedImage_1.png

Go to your PROFILE > REWARDS > scroll and click "Available Quests" tab to learn more about completing this quest!

(What is the Canvas Community Reward System?‌)

Community Member

I also made a kind of personal challenge to go with the official Quest... details here:

https://community.canvaslms.com/people/laurakgibbs/blog/2017/07/04/connected-learning-with-cats-make... 

🙂

Community Member

I really liked this one! Thanks!

Community Member

Hi michellez@tourolaw.edu‌ I am glad! 

This semester I am focusing on going back through the free books and finding the ones with illustrations so that I can create Flickr albums that show the illustrations. It's easy to update the blog posts: it's like Freebookapalooza version 2.0.

Here's an example of an updated blog post with info about illustrations 🙂

Freebookapalooza: Williston. Hindu Tales 

That's a nice thing about using blogs for content management: you can "upgrade" the post later on based on new goals.

Community Member

Laura, I missed this somehow...where do these free books live after you identify them.  Do you house a bookshelf in Diigo and your blog links back to each book there?

Community Member

I use a combination of blog post (where I can list the table of contents, making the blog very good for searching) AND Diigo, which allows me to send a specific link to a student that contains a specific subset of books.

So here is the blog:

Freebookapalooza 

And here's a typical Diigo link; if I know a student is interested in 1001 Nights, for example, I can send this Diigo link:

Diigo: 1001nights 

The Diigo links go to the blog post. 

Different tools for different purposes, and my online world basically runs on a combination of blogs, Diigo, and Twitter. 🙂