CanvasCon USF: Using Google Analytics to Understand Canvas Usage

Explorer III
4 7 3,617

Description

Google Analytics can help admins at their schools better understand how students and faculty are accessing and using their courses. This session will help demonstrate ways Google Analytics can be used enable your administration to better leverage Canvas.

Presented by https://community.canvaslms.com/people/jperkins@instructure.com

NOTE: This session is part of the CanvasCon USF Encore Series, a repeat of selected events from the conference held at University of South Florida, Tampa on April 10, 2017 and simulcast via CanvasLIVE.

Additional Resources

7 Comments
Instructure
Instructure
Explorer III

The link to the recorded session is available:  

Explorer III

Special recognition goes out jperkins@instructure.com Thank You for leading this event.

Please be sure to fill out the CanvasLIVE Survey and share your feedback for this event. Your insights help us continue to support events like these!

For more on how YOU can host a CanvasLIVE event, check out How do I set up a CanvasLIVE event? or join the Community User Group: CanvasLIVE‌!

Community Coach
Community Coach

NOTE: link to the doc in the video is incorrect. it should be DOC-9211, not DOC-921

( brian_mullins@beaverton.k12.or.us Thank You for point that out! Smiley Happy)

Community Member

This is really helpful -- thank you, jperkins@instructure.com‌! I'd been wondering if it was possible to use a tool like Google Analytics alongside Canvas.

One thing I'm wondering (and as background, I'm very new to the higher ed world and having to consider FERPA at all) is whether there are any FERPA concerns with using Google Analytics. This came up in an old discussion (Google Analytics for Course Activity and FERPA) and it sounded as though folks didn't expect there to be any issues with the type of data Google collects, but there also wasn't a clear answer there. I'd love to know if this is an issue you or others have considered, and if yes how you've approached it.

Instructure
Instructure

Ellen,

There was some discussion about FERPA in https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9211-how-to-set-up-google-analytics-for-canvas?sr=search&se...‌ comments. I hope that helps!

Community Member

Thanks, Jeremy!