Fall Community Showcase (2017-11-1)

Instructure
Instructure
17 34 4,028

Innovation doesn’t have to be BIG to be BOLD. It just has to be inspired.

Canvas has the flexibility needed to affect change and unleash your creativity!

(But, you don't have to take our word for it...)

But, you don't have to take my word for it

Check out an ensemble of great presenters -- from teachers and students to admins and pandas -- in a lightning-round showcase. Each will have 5 minutes to share ways the Canvas Community inspired change in the way they design, deliver, teach and learn with Canvas.

Below is the all-star line-up (in no particular order):

Hosted by Community Team

EVENT TIP
Always RSVP to an event (whether it's yes/no/maybe). It's a great way to get updates about this session, participate in follow-up discussions, and be notified of upcoming events similar to this topic or with this host. (NOTE: You must activate your community account before RSVPing to any CanvasLIVE event.)
34 Comments
Community Member

Whoo-hoo: I love being introduced by LeVar Burton... 

I think bogardde‌ will like that too. Trek on, people!

And thanks so much to all the panda admins who are organizing this fun event. 🙂

Community Member

This looks like an awesome event, is it being recorded? Smiley Happy

Community Team
Community Team

k.jagdev@ucb.ac.uk‌, we think it is going to be spectacular Smiley Wink—and yes, it will be recorded!

Community Team
Community Team

The date for https://community.canvaslms.com/events/2340-fall-community-showcase-2017-11-1 is fast approaching! It's a live event, and anything can happen: who knows, we might have some surprise guests pop in. We hope to see you there!

Surveyor
Explorer II

tvashaw@ccsnh.edu‌ and akadenic@ccsnh.edu‌ add this event to your calendars (after you click on 'yes' you'll attend). See you there!

Community Member

Looking forward to seeing my colleague kenneth.rogers@instructure.com‌ rock his lightning round!

Instructure
Instructure
Community Member

I am new to Canvas, how do we access this event? I am assuming we log in here and go to the event  at the specified time, however I’m not sure of the time zone? 

Community Team
Community Team

cerickson@umobile.edu Welcome to Canvas and the Canvas Community! You'll be able to access the event via the link above, which I'm reproducing here: https://onlinexperiences.com/Launch/Event/ShowKey=44679 

You can navigate to your Community profile preferences (How do I set my user preferences in the Community?) to set your local time zone, and the event start time that displays on this page will then correspond to the time zone you've set. It looks like you're in the Central time zone, so I'm going to guess that for you the start time will be 2 PM CDT. Time zones are always tricky to navigate, though, so it's best to set your own preferences to confirm that independently.

"See" you there!

Learner II

Woo hoo! Looking forward to the recording of this (I won't be awake for the live version I don't think). However will be talking up the Community amongst other things at the NSW State Principals' Conference on the 17th Nov as I get a whole hour in front of them about Canvas! Very excited! #callaghancollegewallsendcampusdavid.summerville@det.nsw.edu.au

Cheers to the 2nd November!

Community Member

Hi cerickson@umobile.edu‌ another nice thing is that when these events are recorded at YouTube or a similar kind of service, you can watch it anytime. Trying to find a time that works for everybody is impossible, so this way, people can watch the live event and join in the chat going on during the event, ask questions, etc., or you can watch them later and ask questions at the Community page for the event. Sometimes really good dicussions happen at the Community page during and/or afterwards. There are also lots of those CanvasLIVE videos here at the Canvas Community, and they will show up in search results.

I did a series of these last year and shared all my videos and slideshows via this page:

Connected Learning with Cats: An Index – Teaching with Canvas 

The Community coordinators like stefaniesanders‌ and biray@instructure.com‌ make it really fun and easy to do, and I learned a lot from the whole process. This group one is a new kind of experiment that should be very fun also!

Adventurer

Thanks, stefaniesanders‌ - I didn't realize that we can change the time zone listed for events just by going to our preferences. Very helpful!

Community Member

Sorry I'll have to miss this! I'll be busy dragging people to the Canvas booth at EDUCAUSE Smiley Happy

Learner II

Agreed. Ready to boldly go!!

Community Advocate
Community Advocate

a day earlier and this event could have been SPOOKtacular...

Learner II

Well, I guess we'll just have to be Saintly instead of Spooky (Nov 1 = All Saints' Day). It'll be stretch for me, I admit...

258435_pastedImage_1.png

Community Member

Well, it's still the day of the hallowed dead... Día de los Angelitos 

day of dead gif

Learner II

...maybe I'll stick to being Saintly...?

Community Coach
Community Coach

Looks like a great event and looking forward to attending.  Glad that I saw the announcement!

Community Member

AAAH!! Fall Community Showcase is actually happening in less than 1 hour (11/1 @ 1pm MDT). I'm so excited... and hope you are, too!

Click on the event link to access the session --> Fall Canvas Community Showcase !!!

(The event will be 'open' 15 mins before the start time.)

Panda DJ

Let's do this!

Adventurer II

bummer... last minute meeting just popup on my calendar. Hate that I am gonna miss this.

258645_workworkwork.gif

Instructure
Instructure

It's ok, mjennings@uab.edu! The recording will be great! You even get to see some live action stunts from a Cat during it! (no, really....you do.) 

Community Team
Community Team

A great big "thank you" to our incredible team of presenters:

npacheco Thank You

professorbeyrer@gmail.com Thank You

lindalee@wharton.upenn.edu Thank You

tellison Thank You

bogardde Thank You

kona@richland.edu Thank You

kenneth.rogers@instructure.com Thank You

kristian.still@focus-school.com Thank You

Deactivated user Thank You

laurakgibbs Thank You

258658_Fall2017Showcase.pngEach of our presenters has received 50 points for setting up and contributing to this great session! In addition, each of our presenters will receive a special, one-time-only, unique, limited edition, custom, bespoke (enough adjectives?) quest badge.

For more on how YOU can host a CanvasLIVE event, check out How do I set up a CanvasLIVE event?‌ or join the Community User Group: CanvasLIVE‌!

Community Coach
Community Coach

Great information, and no one was hurt by falling furniture . . . so a real win-win!

Community Coach
Community Coach

Brilliant. I will be replaying this gem. Many thanks to all involved.

The falling furniture was a highlight.

Instructure
Instructure

For those who missed it... or simply want to watch it again, here is the recorded version:  

Enjoy! Smiley Happy

Community Member

Thank you for this, being 6 hours ahead makes it a little difficult to attend.

Community Team
Community Team

Thanks to everyone who attended, and for those who weren't able to make it, the virtualevents‌ posted the recording upthread. Here's the link to the recording again:  

We had some requests for the actual slide deck used in the showcase, and we're happy to oblige. Here it is; it's a view-only link, so feel free to copy and enjoy!

Fall Community Showcase 2017 : Slide Deck

Community Member

This looks fantastic - is there a recording available please? If so, what's the location?

Community Team
Community Team

david.rogers@focus-school.com‌, it was fantastic! The link to the recording is posted in the comments upthread. Here it is again:  

Community Member

Great showcase with excellent ideas! Totally worth the hours and hours it took to watched the recording Smiley Wink (teasing about y'all going over your time limit). Fun to see all my Community faves and some new faces, and extra love for including the student perspective. 

Learner II

Haha, I swear I practiced it half a dozen times and came in just under 5 minutes. I'll blame it on stefaniesanders. She said to speak slowly Smiley Wink

Community Team
Community Team

Totally my fault, bogardde‌ and tdelillo@alamo.edu‌! oops