Mobile Series: Just-in-Time Design Checklist (2015)

Community Coach
Community Coach
29 33 3,700

(September 17, 2015) As Canvas keeps evolving (hello, new UI!) and students keep leveraging mobile devices for learning, it’s imperative for courses to be more mobile-friendly. And, boy, do we have a checklist for you! This session will offer best considerations for mobile design and on-the-go delivery of your course(s). [Pesenter: Ryan.Seilhamer@ucf.edu​]

33 Comments
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Brilliant! A must for anyone considering wider use of Canvas on mobile and tablet use. The Survey is the icing on the cake! The opportunity to have colleagues self review and evaluate their own courses is critical to developing and embedding canvas in their teaching and students learning.

Surveyor

New to canvas and most of my students are using their phones to access it.  Thanks for the ideas of how to improve the experience for my students.

Community Coach
Community Coach

Thanks Ryan for presenting! I like that this was an extended version of the presentation you gave at InstCon '15. I will definitely take key points from this and share with faculty. Our students have iPads and usually access Canvas the Canvas app. (Mobile friendliness is huge!)

Explorer III

Wonderful information! I have been guilty of many of the great issues you pointed out and cannot wait to share your information with staff! I wish I would have had this information when I was still in the classroom! :smileyconfused: Thank you for the helpful tips!

Adventurer

This is great Ryan.Seilhamer@ucf.edu​!

Where did you obtain the Instructure data to create the charts about overall mobile usage within Canvas?

Community Coach
Community Coach

Thanks! The overall stats were from Deactivated user​ during InstructureCon 2015. She used to be the mobile PM.

Learner II

Is it possible to add the link to the mobile check here?

Thanks

Community Coach
Community Coach

Here is the link to the mobile survey, for those who are interested in checking your course for mobile friendliness: http://bit.ly/canvas-mobile-check

Adventurer

Hi Ryan.Seilhamer@ucf.edu​ - Can I use separate parts of your video presentation with attribution (including the link to the full video) in an online faculty training workshop? The workshop will be about designing mobile-friendly courses and some of the video does not apply to our faculty (such as the student data from your survey and using styles). Within the online workshop, we could chunk your video into parts (or create our own smaller video clips - but yours is so great!). We could also include actual examples of do's/don'ts within the Canvas modules.

Learner II

Thank you!

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi dejonghed07@macomb.edu​.

I have no issues with you using this video or creating a new video that makes more sense to your audience. Please let me know if you need more information or want me to elaborate on anything.

I also created a Canvas Commons mobile resource for faculty to use with their students. You need to search Canvas Commons for "Accessing Canvas With Your Mobile Device".

Thanks.

Adventurer

Thank you! I'll check out your resource in Canvas Commons, too. Smiley Happy

Community Member

Ryan.Seilhamer@ucf.edu Very informative presentation. I will share the mobile check site with our teachers.

Community Member

Helpful information for mobile, a few tips that I found directly useful for me: keep images less than 30mb if possible and using text headers in modules to visually chunk information. I also will use student notifications for content that might not work with their app. Thanks!

This might be helpful to others:

1. Custom Styles (@ 8:00 minutes)
  2. Content Chunking (@ 9:35 minutes)
  3. Tables (@ 12:46 minutes)
  4. File Types (@ 14:30 minutes)
  5. File Sizes (@ 15:46 minutes)
  6. Media Types (@ 16:32 minutes)
  7. Modules (@ 19:33 minutes)
  8. Student Prompts (@ 21:05 minutes)
  9. Inform (@ 22:33 minutes)
Community Member

Thank you  biray@instructure.com and Ryan.Seilhamer@ucf.edu for the information (and screen shots) showing what I think are the most important function of Text Headers in Modules: they create very readable lists on the mobile app, breaking up lessons and lesson components into a workflow/checklist for students. Love that!

Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Ryan.Seilhamer@ucf.edu‌ Great information in this video!  Thanks for including this in the Canvas community!  After watching I was playing with the Canvas app and it appears that the indents in modules now work in the mobile app.  I was very happy to realize this since we have taught many staff members in our district to indent in their modules for organizational purposes.

Community Coach
Community Coach

Thanks! The indents were added with a redesign of the modules in the app last fall. In addition to indents, I like that they also made it so items can have really long titles. Before the update, long titles were limited with ellipses. 

Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Always improving.  Go Canvas!!!

Community Coach
Community Coach

Ryan.Seilhamer@ucf.edu. This answered a few nagging questions. Thanks.

Community Member

Ryan.Seilhamer@ucf.edu‌ Thank you again for this! So helpful! I put this together for our faculty based upon this video!

https://cloud.nwmissouri.edu/documents/de8889e5f038aca16be4d81f35022a7d/de8889e5f038aca16be4d81f3502...

Community Coach
Community Coach

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing. I'm glad I could help. The only note of change....#9 is now supported. Indents were support late last year, so I don't suggest it anymore. Also, I'm not sure if your school uses UDOIT, but I have worked with their team to add 2,4,5 as an automated check. It should be out soon! 

Community Member

Thanks, Ryan! I'll update it. We are not currently using UDOIT, but it is on my to-do list for this fall!

Community Coach
Community Coach

Awesome! I hope you get to use UDOIT! It's such a helpful tool! 

Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Another terrific video with awesome information.  Thanks again Ryan.Seilhamer@ucf.edu‌!

Community Coach
Community Coach

Some great reminders here. Thanks Ryan.Seilhamer@ucf.edu

I particularly like your point that 'mobile is what people do between doing things'. I've seen people try to create a course on an iPad. Doesn't look that easy. Much better to use the iPad between creating things?

Community Coach
Community Coach

bobby.pedersen@education.tas.gov.au‌, I agree. Even though the Canvas Teacher has made this a little easier. The function of the Teacher app isn't to create a course on an iPad, but some of the features make it easier than using the mobile web or Canvas Student app. 

Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Ryan.Seilhamer@ucf.edu Thank You for this awesome presentation. This was one of the best half-hours I have ever spent learning about Canvas and my only regret is it took me so long to get here. I get extra humble pie for being a member of the CMUG and participating a bit in the beta feedback for the Teacher app.

Obviously designing for mobile perfectly aligns with universal design principles. The recommendation to use Content Pages in lieu of PDF or MS Word files makes things so much easier when it comes to accommodating users with disabilities (especially PDF). Your online course checker is a goldmine too and something I would love to require for faculty to complete.

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi professorbeyrer@gmail.com‌, 

Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Even though this is a few years old now, it still holds up because it relies on design and not technology. I'm not sure if you have seen this yet, but I worked with Education Services to create a nice checklist about mobile design: https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers/blog/2018/06/29/mobile-app-design-course-evaluation... 

Give that a look and see if it can be helpful with your faculty. Thanks again! 

Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thank you!

Learner II

Great Explanations.  Stands the test of time. 

Surveyor

Even four years later, this information is still relevant and very helpful. Thank you for this video and for creating and including the link to your checklist above.

Explorer III

Ryan.Seilhamer@ucf.edu‌. You mention the use of Text headers as a mMobile-friendly strategy.  ( https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7944?sr=search&searchId=9999676d-456e-4c35-9c87-df382300af0d&s... )

I've been frustrated by using Text Headers for anything I want students to see because they disappear when a student is navigating Modules using the "Next" button. Headers can only be seen in Modules list view.

Text headers are simply skipped!

My solution, for now, is to use a full content page H1 (Title box) and leave the page blank.  I don't know if this would translate to your headers solution for mobile or not, but be aware that Text Headers are too easy to miss on a desktop device using ideal navigation. 

Surveyor

Would be so great to get an updated version of this! 

About the Author
I'm a modern man, a man for the century. Fire walker but smoke free, diversified multi-cultural, anatomically and ecologically correct. I've been up linked and downloaded, I've been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. Behind the eight ball, ahead of the curve, riding the wave, dodging the bullet and pushing the envelope. Teacher, lifeguard, hiker, fresh water fisherman, DIY wannabe, instructional designer, law degree, writer, always voter, supporter of the underdog, closeted artist. You can't shut me up. You can't dumb me down because I'm tireless and I'm wireless, I'm a secular humanist who knows, understands, and respects the spiritual threads in life. I'm feeling, I'm caring, I'm healing, I'm sharing—a supportive, bonding, nurturing primary care-giver. I'm a rude dude, but I'm the real deal. Lean and mean! Cocked, locked and ready-to-rock. Rough, tough and hard to bluff. I take it slow, I go with the flow, I ride with the tide. I've got glide in my stride. Drivin' and movin', sailin' and spinin', jiving and groovin, wailin' and winnin'. I don’t snooze, so I don't lose. I keep the pedal to the metal and the rubber on the road. I'm hangin' in, there ain't no doubt and I'm hangin' tough, over and out!