Partner Webinar: Turnitin and Canvas: In the Flow

Instructure
Instructure
2 7 1,298
This session is part of the Canvas Partner Days, a recurring event (every other month) to highlight our awesome Canvas Partners (plus cool contests and swag giveaways)!Click to learn more about October 17th Canvas Partner Day events.

Webinar Recording

Turnitin Webcast - Turnitin and Canvas: In the Flow on Vimeo 

Description 

Now, we’re not saying that Turnitin and Canvas are “one with each other,” but we’re working on getting there! While we do have in place an LTI integration that works well for some, we recognize that many users are looking for a deeper level integration that better supports their needs.

Join us to hear about the work that we’re doing on building a Turnitin integration to the Canvas Plagiarism Framework. This new integration will support a more seamless integration of Turnitin Similarity Reports with Canvas assignments--giving you the chance to make the most out of Turnitin and Canvas.

This session is great for Canvas administrators and for faculty who want to learn more about how to make the pairing of two great things even better!

Registration

Turnitin and Canvas: In the Flow 

Partner Profile

The features discussed in this session may require additional paid services of a 3rd party provider. Please check out Alliance Partner - Turnitin for more information.

EVENT TIP
Always RSVP to an event (whether it's yes/no/maybe). It's a great way to get updates about this session, participate in follow-up discussions, and be notified of upcoming events similar to this topic or with this host. (NOTE: You must activate your community account before RSVPing to any CanvasLIVE event.)
7 Comments
Learner II

Was this recorded by chance? I really wanted to view it, but it hit at a bad time for me as I as traveling.

Community Member

Yes, good info too.  Not sure how they are going to share it though.

Learner II

I am also interested in the recording for sure. I wanted to attend, but it fell at a bad time for me. 

Navigator

I preregistered for the session and was emailed a (personalized, unfortunately) link to the recording. In theory, others who preregistered on go.turnitin.com were or will be emailed a recording link.

Learner II

Well, I should have preregistered. Smiley Sad Maybe you can give us a summary if you get a chance, Rob? Smiley Happy 

Learner II

Actually, I dug through my email, registered now, used the link in registration email to register, and accessed the recording by visiting the url in the confirmation email I received. I will try to watch later today and post a  quick summary here. 

Learner II

Alrighty! Here is the 411:

Turnitin is Beta testing a new plugin to replace the old API version, which will be phased out soonish. This new version is being referred to as the "plagiarism framework" version and is for people who want to use the native Canvas assignment tools with the addition of a Turnitin originality report.

Meanwhile, the LTI integration will offer the full suite of Turnitin tools and a forthcoming update will let teachers submit on behalf of students and will let instructors grant extended due dates to individual students.

Going forward, schools that use Turnitin will have the option to use one or both of these integrations

Much of this has been known since Instructurecon, but Jason Chu from Turnitn added some additional details about the way each integration will work. 

I hope that helps anyone who did not catch the webinar. Smiley Happy 

About the Author
I graduated from New Mexico State University in 1997 with a bachelor's degree in English and philosophy. Because I found college to be a good lifestyle, I kept going and graduated with a master's degree in English from NMSU in 1999. Still enjoying school but wanting a change of scenery, I relocated to Baton Rouge, Louisiana to attend LSU (Geaux Tigers!). In 2002, I finally became tired of being a poor student and began teaching full time for New Mexico Junior College. However, I did not abandon my doctoral degree from LSU; I finished my Ph.D. in English in 2005. Now, I live in Hobbs with my two children, two turtles, two ferrets, and four dogs.