Quaran-Cleaning

Community Coach
Community Coach
5 0 201

We’ve been sheltering in place and practicing social distancing anywhere between one and three months, as of this post. In addition to our work responsibilities, many of us have also added unexpected tasks to our to-do lists. And in an effort to survive this storm, we all continue to gravitate to the things that ground us. 

What is calming me at the moment is cleaning. No, not the “re-organizing my garage” or “decluttering the storage closet”- kind of cleaning. I’m purging digital stuff. Old emails. Outdated files types that don’t even open. You name it, I’m deleting it.

Click. Empty Trash. Byeeee!

So, when the communityteam asked me to “clean up” the CanvasLIVE space, of course, I agreed without hesitation.

Surface ‘Essential’ Content

Purging digital content isn’t a mere “select-all-and-delete” approach. You have to look at the resource and determine its impact: how many views, comments, bookmarks, and so forth. Part of what makes any content in the community relevant is both how timely and timeless it is. 

In CanvasLIVE, we wanted to remove the things that were no longer applicable and surface the things that were. So, we came up with a criterion for the things that should stay.

• All content from August 2017 to present. Community Team will review this content later this year.
  • Any content related to past Instructure-hosted events. We realize content from InstructureCons or CanvasCons is often referenced internally and externally. These links will remain intact.
  • Any content that shares best practices. Despite the fact that features are regularly updated or UI/UX changes over time, some concepts or ideas shared still hold value.

In our commitment to avoid deleting content from the community, anything that did not meet the above criteria has gone to Cold Storage.

More Real-Time Connections, Less Recorded Content

Next, we wanted to establish revised criteria for creating future CanvasLIVE events. One of the things we had observed about virtual meetings (despite the Zoom-fails and video-conferencing flops) was how easily it kept us connected. A virtual coffee chat with a colleague or a fun game night with some friends never involved an agenda or preparation (or recordings). It just required you to be present.

Similarly, CanvasLIVE events shouldn’t always need a slide deck, a new idea, or a best practice to share. Just show up! In an effort to emphasize connection over content, face-time over footage, CanvasLIVE ‘event types’ have been updated to include more informal events. 

• Twitter Chats
  • Meetups
  • Fireside Chats *new*
  • Edutainment *new*
  • Office Hours *new*
  • Canvas Talk *new*

Click to learn more about ‘event types’ in detail.

Same Mission, Better Feng Shui

Every once in a while, a deep digital cleaning is warranted. But along the way, it’s also nice to change a few icons, swap in a cool background, and move folders around. Am I right? If there were such a thing as digital feng shui, then perhaps we’ve achieved that with our new space design, too.

I re-read a really old blog post from 2016 about CanvasLIVE when working on this project (cuz that’s what happens when you look in sub-spaces and click archived links). The following sentence from that four-year-old post still resonates with me today.

At the end of the day, we're all just surviving, designing and refining our Canvas best practices... and what better way to do that than together with friends by your side.

The Canvas Community always finds a way to adapt and grow to meet the needs of our members. Right now, CanvasLIVE is a place where you can meet people, help each other troubleshoot issues, and share your knowledge... in real-time.

See y'all soon in a future CanvasLIVE event...

Smiley Wink

Biray

Tags (2)
About the Author
I enjoy connecting and educating Canvas Users through virtual events!