When High Tech becomes Hot Tech: Educational Technology Showcase

Community Advocate
Community Advocate
23 24 1,527

(March 22, 2017) Presented by snufer

Abstract:
Looking for tips and tricks to make your course design more engaging? Come learn about various ed tech resources that are available to take your course to the next level.

For session details, additional resources, and on-going discussion, please visit the event page: When High Tech becomes Hot Tech: Educational Technology Showcase

Tags (1)
24 Comments
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thank you, Sean, just watched this recording.
So many valuable resources! I am about to commence eLearning design within our Canvas implementation project in the second half of this year, so this was great to assist me in collecting resources for this project. So far, I'm only using within our course H5P, Powerpoint, Photoshop and Illustrator so I'm excited to keep finding what else is out there Smiley Happy 

Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Awesome. I would suggest starting with giving Office Sway a spin. It's very easy and the outputs are impressive and render well on mobile. 

Community Team
Community Team

snufer‌ has gone the extra mile by compiling links to all of the resources referenced in this presentation, and you'll find them at Ed Tech Showcase .

Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thanks, Sean Smiley Happy I will!

Community Member

Helpful!!!

I'm waiting for Michelle Tuten to build a list. 🙂

Community Coach
Community Coach

Be sure to watch the entire ED TECH SHOWCASE series, hosted and developed snufer‌!

238737_pastedImage_1.png

Go to your PROFILE > REWARDS > scroll and click "Available Quests" tab to learn more about completing this quest!

(What is the Canvas Community Reward System?‌)

Instructure
Instructure

Great stuff contained within!  Thanks for the information Sean. 

Community Advocate
Community Advocate

You're welcome!

Community Member

Thanks snufer‌! Lots of great resources shared here.

Just wanted to add that Office Mix will be ended in May 2018.  Recording & annotation functionality will still be available in Powerpoint, but the quizzing & Mix online site will be gone, along with any Mixes you have stored there. 

Migrate your content from Office Mix - PowerPoint 

Learner II

Also, fun fact. They are migrating all of the Mixes to Microsoft Stream, which does not allow public sharing at this time. So, if your students have a different email (like @student.institution.edu) or something like that, they will not be able to watch your videos.

Definitely frustrating.

Community Member

For those who have trouble reading the URL and/or are lazy and want to not type it, here's the class link to the open demo course - hot tech 

Smiley Happy

Community Advocate
Community Advocate

snufer‌, thanks for the terrific video and the different program.  I had a couple questions for you.  Do you have a list of the different programs you used that you could share?  In your pages you have a table that has headings for each section of your class and then it shows a live feed of that section.  Is that done using iframe, and if so, is there a tutorial that can show me how to create it?  Thanks for your time and Happy New Year!

Community Advocate
Community Advocate

It is also nice to know that one of the newer tools in the Rich Content Editor allows users to embed content into Canvas without having to worry about going into the HTML editor.  If you are not familiar with this tool, as of posting this, it is in the second row of icons in the RCE and it is second from the left.  If you hover over it the pop up label reads Insert/edit media.

Community Advocate
Community Advocate

The list for my video series can be found at:

hot tech

I'm going to clean that up quite a bit and make it presentable.  I've also started blogging a little more in-depth about individual platforms at:

tcsedtech.com 

Here I will focus on each platform, whereas that webinar series was a very fast-paced and high level overview of what is on the market.  

Regarding your other class, would you be able to indicate where on the video you saw the table and headings?  I'll take a look at what I did there. 

Community Advocate
Community Advocate

This is fantastic.  I was one of those "do a little dance" moments when that was released.  It makes training faculty so much easier since they don't have to cringe at the sight of html.  

Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I completely agree snufer!  I used to hesitate to show people how to go into the HTML editor.  If the page was blank, it wasn't too bad.  But get a few things on the page and who knew how they were going to react?  I have no problem having people embed now.  I am so glad this was implemented into the RCE.

Community Member

I am cautiously circling using the HTLM code - but you are giving me more confidence to make good use of it.

Community Coach
Community Coach

A little at a time nbiddinger-c@instructure.com

Community Coach
Community Coach

Sway is my new favourite tool. It's so intuitive and embeds beautifully into Canvas.

Thanks snuferfor sharing the Sway love.

Community Coach
Community Coach

ryan.corris@lakotaonline.comit is a thing of loveliness is it not. So simple.

Community Member

What a great compendium of Canvas-friendly instructional technology, Sean Nufer's Blog. Please keep the course in your instance posted and public. I'll use it as a reference as I develop along. Thanks again. (Too bad Poll Everywhere - Audience Participation Site isn't still available.)

Community Member

One more comment and thank you: ThingLink is really awesome. Interactivity is the direction we're all pointed for AR and VR anyway, and creating videos using Powtoon, GoAnimate, etc. is a huge time suck. More bang for the time spent using a digital tool like ThingLink. I can't wait to get started! Thank you, thank you, snufer!!!!

Learner II

snufer‌, VoiceThread is our favorite tool for students to create group presentations. We have had some instructors do some really cool things with group VT presentations. Upwards of 40 people working on the same thread. Their LTI is pretty solid, too.

Community Member

That's a shame about Microsoft Mix being discontinued. I had fun exploring its uses several years ago. Sway is pretty fun, too. Thanks for the presentation snufer!

About the Author
Taught a little (econ, biz & tech), but have now spent last handful of years working in instructional tech. Raised a farmboy, but live & work in the city.