cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Course Sections and Reinenrollment

We have our Catalog Courses "opening" and "closing" the last/first day of the quarter to help ensure our promo codes don't go rogue. Each new quarter, I am creating a new section of each of the courses for the new students to enroll into. What I am running into though, is that once a learner registered, let's say for section 1. That section closes, when they go to register again for section 2, it says that they are already enrolled. We do have the dates set so that students are restricted from viewing the course before/after the end date. We looked and the course is not showing up in the Canvas Dashboard. Anyone run into this before and solved this issue? Thank you!! 

5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

kathy.harris@usu.edu‌ did you run into this issue? How did you resolve this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

We have to make separate course listings with different names and different start and end dates to make this work correctly.

Highlighted

Yes, I have this problem. My work around is not a pleasant one. I have to create a new course and a new course listing the same person needs to enroll into the same course. Each course & course listing needs a different name. So, we have created a naming convention that may be causing some confusion for our users, but we need to keep it in place so that we (admins) can keep track of which course is live and keep track of past enrollments. For example: Food Safety Managers Certificate, 2017-2018, then Food Safety Managers Certificate 2018-2019, etc. (In fact, this particular course, the instructors want about every 4 months, so I have had to put months with the years, too.)

I'm not able to create sections of a course because the way that Catalog works for us is that each time someone enrolls in a course, they are put into their own section. So, I have 1 course with 20 sections if I have 20 people enroll in the course.

One of the features that I would love to see developed in Catalog is the option for a user to re-enroll in a course after 1 year. All the module requirements & prereqs would reset (including the exam attempts and scores) for the user if they have not accessed the course for more than 12 months.

Highlighted

Thank you, kathy.harris@usu.edu‌.

Highlighted

Thanks so much! Yes, that is an ugly workaround for sure! We are trying to avoid multiple course copies because maintenance always becomes an issue then.