cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor II

Double Registrations with Catalog

We are seeing many cases of user emails being listed twice in our sub-account's Admin People list and users enrolled twice in individual courses.  Typically, the email will be the same for both items, but the names will be slightly different, or one will include an SIS ID, but one will not.  This really messes up our completion rates and it may cause other issues as well.

We think it's happening because users are self-registering, even though they've technically already got an account.  They are already listed in the sub-account because our main account admin uploads a list of staff to our subaccount so that Instructure won't charge us fees for those users to register.   We think users are filling in their name in the Enroll box instead of clicking on sign in.  I even made a video to try to discourage this:  https://www.screencast.com/t/O7PUDW9i 

Has anyone else seen this kind of problem?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Unless were they manually enrolled in the course and then registered again.

Highlighted
Surveyor II

Well, they were manually added as users, then they self-registered.  

Highlighted

That is what is causing the issue -- I would suggest to talk to support.

Highlighted
Surveyor II

So we did talk to them and the suggestion they had was to disable self-registration for our entire Catalog.  Of course, that would completely undermine the whole point of using Catalog, since our public courses depend on self-registration.  Our super admin had the idea to disable self-registration at the sub-catalog level.  Does anyone know if that is possible?  

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

It isnt because this setting is pulled from the root of Canvas.

Highlighted
Surveyor II

So does that mean that there is no custom css that would disable it? 

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Correct because it is a setting at the root of Canvas.