Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Email notification once a student completes the enrollment

Jump to solution

Hello there!

We have been using Catalog for a couple of months already with no so many students. Our question or concern is basically when a new student enrolls in a course in Catalog How can we get a notification of those new students in Catalog?

Currently, what we are doing is checking the reports in Catalog and looking for new students in the courses, but we want to be notified as soon as the student is officially enrolled via email.

Is there any way to send an email once a student enrolls in a course?

Thanks!

farbelaez@instructure.com jmunoz1@nuc.edu xcotto@nuc.edu

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

farbelaez@instructure.com​, Unfortunately right now there is no way to send notification to teachers, admins, etc upon new enrollment of a course. It is a request that has come up before and one that will be considered with future development of Catalog.

I appreciate the question and recommendation to include this as a feature in the product and would love it if you would share any supporting use cases from your institution. How would you see this feature being used within your organization?

-mattg

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Highlighted
Learner II

rcarney@instructure.com​, hi!!! Do you know anyone that can help us with this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

farbelaez@instructure.com​, Unfortunately right now there is no way to send notification to teachers, admins, etc upon new enrollment of a course. It is a request that has come up before and one that will be considered with future development of Catalog.

I appreciate the question and recommendation to include this as a feature in the product and would love it if you would share any supporting use cases from your institution. How would you see this feature being used within your organization?

-mattg

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks Matt Goodwin for your reply.

• Definitely, notify all the instructors of the course as soon as a new student is available in their class by email.
  • From the admin side, be able to set email reports from the "Reports" tab with a recurrence. Some of these reports could be:
    • List of new students by Course
    • List of students who did not complete the payment process
Highlighted

Hi Matt,

We are looking at a similar issue. However, we were trying to take it from a different angle.

We hoped to put a pre-dated announcement in the course to be sent to the participant 24 hours before the course (F2F) as a reminder. We want to include Time, Location, etc. Unfortunately, if a student registers for the course in Catalog, but doesn't access Canvas, they don't receive the announcement (I'm assuming because they haven't confirmed their email). Is there a way to auto-confirm the student even if they haven't confirmed the email?

This is only happening to a small percentage of our users but they also happen to be the least likely to check their Spam folder for the registration email and confirm it.

Fredrico's suggestion might also be a good approach for us. @Federico Arbelaez EdukGroup

As always, thanks for your assistance.

Highlighted
Community Member

mattg‌, Is this still the case? Has this been worked on? Is there a way for a notification to be sent to the instructors when a student has either signed up for a course, or finished the course?

Highlighted
Community Member

Hello,

I am curious as well if this is something that will be implemented? Is there any notification settings for the instructors to access when a student adds/drops their course? A simple orange dot for an add and a grayed name with a line through it for a drop would suffice.

Thanks!

Aimee

Highlighted
Surveyor II

I had the same question about notifying an instructor when someone enrolls.  I was looking at the Canvas Notification Preferences and found one under Alerts called "Administrative Notifications."  It says that it notifies instructors or admins about course enrollments.  The setting is for users, not courses, but it may still be helpful and I plan to use it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Currently, there isnt a notifying feature in Catalog but I would suggest bringing this up at the meeting on Friday which is in the events tab.

0 Kudos