cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JustinBrooksby
Surveyor II

Masquerade ability in Catalog

We use to be able to masquerade in Canvas and then extend that masquerade into Catalog in order to drop students from courses. Looks like we are not able to do that any longer for some reason. Anyone else have that problem now, who use to be able to?  Now there is no way for an admin to drop someone from a course.  Seems like a pretty basic feature. We can drop them from the Canvas course but this will not free up a spot in catalog for waiting list. Any other ideas? Some people are just not able to drop themselves.

Tags (2)
16 Replies
TinaMSwanton
Surveyor II

Hi Justin. I had this problem last week. I found that you must 'act as' the user in Canvas. Then, log into Catalog as that person. You will have to enter their credentials so, before you can do that you will need to add a login for that user to create a password for logging into Catalog. https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12586-4214674984 Once you have dropped them be sure to go back into their profile and remove the login you created. Hope this makes sense and that it helps. 

Yikes! Even more complex than what we were doing but I guess it will work. Thanks for sharing.

Yup the same thing for me. In addition, make sure you are logged out of Catalog and use /dashboard at the end of the URL to fully act as the individual.

jsowalsk
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

However, I just act as a student and then /dashboard and it works for me.

jsowalsk
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I did not need to create a password.

JustinBrooksby
Surveyor II

So, here is a warning. We just discovered that if we masquerade as a student and then log into Catalog as that student it is giving your Canvas Catalog admin credentials to the student. (linking the two somehow) I put in a ticket but you might want to be careful.  

How can you confirm this?

I have a screenshot from the student.  Also I masqueraded as that student and it logged me into my assistant's Canvas Catalog Admin account, the one that had been tied to the student. Instructure advised us not to masquerade an catalog for the foreseeable future.

jsowalsk
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Would you be able to show examples of this? That way I can bring it up to my CSM.