Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Select Update Option in Commons

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am trying to update a page in a course I previously shared to Commons.  I am following the instruction at "How do I update a resource I previously shared to Commons" but I am not getting the "Select Update Option". Instead, when I click the "Share to Commons" link next to the page I updated, it tries to export it as a new resource--a singular page in Commons.

I reread the instructions, and where it reads, "If you modified a course and want to share it to Commona as an update, navigate to Settings."  I do that, but I cannot see where I go next once in Settings.  

I think I'm missing a step somewhere.  Thanks for any assistance!

Maryanne

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Dear Maryanne, 

I have seen your question about updating a page within a course to Commons. If the pages is in a course, the update toggle will show up only if you click the 'share to Commons' button for the course. It will not show up if you try to update the single page because if you try to update the page separately, in Commons it's going to be a new resource as it's not a course any more, but a page. 

Have a nice day!

Zsofi

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Update:  I am now thinking I have to update the entire course if I only want to update a single page in that course. Is there a way to update just one page in a course in Commons?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi maryanne.mills@westvalley.edu...

I tried to re-create your issue, but I could not.  Here is what I did:

1. Created a brand new page in my sandbox course via the "Pages" index page.
  2. Shared the page to Canvas Commons.
  3. Returned to the course, updated, and saved the page.
  4. Navigated to the "Pages" index page of the course, clicked on the three-dot kebab icon to the right of the page name, and selected "Share to Commons".

This takes me to the Commons interface.  At the top of the screen is a toggle switch for "Is this an update to a previously shared resource?" which is currently turned on (green check mark).  Then, I clicked on the "Update" button at the bottom of the page.

To answer your follow-up question, you shouldn't have to share an entire course to Commons if you are only updating a single page.  The process I have described above is only sharing and updating a single page from a course to Canvas Commons.  I hope this helps, Maryanne.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your detailed instructions.  I am not getting a toggle switch in Commons asking "Is this an update to a previously shared resource?" My only recourse, that I can see is to update the entire course.  Please see the attached screen capture. This is the Commons screen that appears after I share the page from my course into Commons. It wants to create a new source. 325302_Commons-screenshot.png

I'll test a bit more. Could it be a setting that my Canvas Administrator has to allow?

Maryanne

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Dear Maryanne, 

I have seen your question about updating a page within a course to Commons. If the pages is in a course, the update toggle will show up only if you click the 'share to Commons' button for the course. It will not show up if you try to update the single page because if you try to update the page separately, in Commons it's going to be a new resource as it's not a course any more, but a page. 

Have a nice day!

Zsofi

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Zsofi,

Thank you! I was trying to update the single page, not the entire course. I was successful in updating.

Kind regards,

Maryanne

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels