Virtual Office Hours

Community Team
Community Team
11 7 541

In an effort to make it SUPER easy for our newer Canvas teachers and admins to get their questions answered quickly, we are launching an open Virtual Office Hours initiative. And we think our Advocates [that's you] are best positioned to kick off this effort.

Participation counts toward your Service activities.

We are asking you to host two (2) hours worth of virtual open office time between May 15 and July 31, 2020.

• ANY COMBINATION: Two hours can be completed in any combination (i.e., one 2-hour session or four 30-minute sessions, etc.).
  • ANY DAY: Office hours can be scheduled any day between May 15 and July 31.
  • ANY TIME: Schedule your office hours when it’s most convenient for you (even if that means 5am or 10pm). We are a global community, after all.
    Note: Check for other Office Hour events at the same time. You might find someone to team up with!
  • ANY VIDEO CONFERENCING PLATFORM: We suggest Zoom (with waiting room enabled), but use any video conferencing platform that is easy for users to join in and chat.
  • NO RECORDING: You do not need to record or close-caption your sessions.

Please don’t feel like you have to duplicate Canvas support. We want you to be there to help answer questions to the best of your ability, point people to resources and guides in the community, and help users make progress towards their goals (even if that means helping them create a support ticket.)

“There have been times when I could not answer a question and could only offer an ear to listen,” encourages Greg Beyrer, Canvas Advocate who has already hosted over 40 virtual office hours in the Canvas community since 2017. “It is still an opportunity to connect with other Canvas users.”

List your ‘office hours’ in CanvasLIVE by May 15.

We have updated our CanvasLIVE space to make it more like a faculty or staff lounge. All virtual office hours will be listed as a CanvasLIVE event.

Here’s an example Virtual Office Hour event hosted by Greg Beyrer. 

Click for steps on hosting your CanvasLIVE event

NOTE: There are no naming conventions for ‘event title’ (but be sure to select ‘office hours’ under event type so members can easily filter by and find an event.) Title your office hours however you wish (i.e., “Bob’s Office Hours”, “Teacher Office Hours”, “Open Lab for All”) -- you get the idea!

We will be announcing this initiative via social media and in the Canvas Community by May 15, 2020, so please schedule most of your hours in the CanvasLIVE space by May 15.

Let’s shoot for 300 hours of virtual, real-time support!

If each Canvas Advocate offers their Canvas expertise and helps new users navigate the community, we’d be hosting over 300 hours of service hours worldwide! We’ll have a countdown in the Canvas Advocate group in the community to keep track of the hours of service!

We hope you are able to join us in this initiative!

Thank you for all the things you do!

7 Comments
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

This sounds great and I would be more than happy to help, share and listen. Need to factor in some time zone stuff as in Netherlands. Just wonder what the best hours would be to catch as many as possible?

Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Gideon.Williams@britishschool.nl‌ any time can work out. I've been posting my Canvas Klatch office hours for a few years now based on times that work for me in California (almost always business hours) and I've made connections with other Canvas users in Australia, the Philippines, and Colombia in addition to all over the U.S. But no one in Europe yet that I recall.

Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I will take a look at my calendar and see what times I have available.

Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Trying to figure out the best way to do this.  The way we have been doing office hours to support teachers in my district is nothing is prepared, and what ever is asked leads the discussion.  Do you feel it is better to leave it wide open or to focus on certain features of Canvas or course design and let people ask questions that fall in those categories?  

Community Team
Community Team

yes!  We totally support the 'nothing is prepared and see where it goes' approach!

Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I am a little late to the party, sorry about that! But I added 2 sessions for now. I hope someone finds them helpful! I think it is a great idea. 

About the Author
I have been teaching in a technology-mediated environment since the days of HyperCard and teach classes in history, online student success, and how to be a health care IT trainer. Every day I learn more about Canvas.