Awesome CanvasLMS

robotcars
Community Champion
This content is over 24-months old. While the resource is still valuable to the Community, it is important to evaluate the content to ensure that it is still relevant and reliable.

Awesome Badge

A curated list of CanvasLMS Community and Open Source contributions.

Inspired by GitHub - sindresorhus/awesome: Awesome lists about all kinds of interesting topics (awesome.re)

For more information see CanvasLMS Awesome List Contributions

changelog

Contents

CanvasLMS

Canvas Guides
The complete list of guides for all users and roles, from Student to Parent, and everyo...

Canvas Admin

Canvas Instructor

Instructional Design

Canvas Mobile

Canvas Theme Editor

Canvas API

Canvas Data

Canvas GraphQL

Canvas Live Events

Open Source LTI

• CUOnline/sandbox Ruby LTI tool that generates sandbox courses in Canvas
  • CUOnline/SandboxCore An ASP.NET Core implementation of the Sandbox Course functionality.
  • CIDI/kennethware-2.0 Tools to facilitate rapid course development in Instructure Canvas.
  • ets-berkeley-edu/suitec SuiteC is a set of LTI-compliant tools optimized to work with the Canvas Learning Management System (LMS).
  • ucfopen/UDOIT The Universal Design Online content Inspection Tool, or UDOIT (pronounced, “You Do It”) enables faculty to identify accessibility issues in Canvas by Instructure. It will scan a course, generate a report, and provide resources on how to address common accessibility issues
  • Materia Engage students by embedding interactive apps into your Canvas modules or assignments. Materia comes with a library of games, surveys, and simulations; each is easily customized by faculty to fit their course. Developing new apps for Materia is easy and streamlined.

Open Source LTI Development

23 Comments
robotcars
Community Champion

I spoke with Stefanie about this awhile back when I first put this on my todo list. Since the list doesn't require 'code', and can go beyond code. I've included some items which are just discussions, theory, documentation, and courses. The reason for choosing Meta Community, was that anyone in the community (Meta Community Group) can edit the doc, while others (eg. Instructional Designers, Admins), might not be in the Developer Group.

This is not my document, I am not the maintainer. More on that here https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-17356 

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

OK, that makes sense to me.  Thanks!

b_w_reid
Community Participant

Hi, A lot of the links in the Canvas Admin section don't work! 🙂

Bobby2
Community Champion

HI @b_w_reid I suspect they may be victims of moving to a new community platform. Hopefully they will be restored soon.

Jeff_F
Community Champion

@robotcars  I am extremely humbled that a set of my contributions made it to your list. When Canvas Data 2 comes out I'll be sure to contribute entries using that schema.

@scottdennis  - as the following resources may still be of value to someone, do you supposed the blog entries below can be brought over from the prior community? The links below are from the Tableau section above.  I entered *** next to the two that are more complex where the detailed explanation is useful.  These have a high potential of helping others.  

The Early Warning Report - 

Early Warning

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Jeff,

Unfortunately we still had access to the old site from August 7th when we flipped the switch until Jan 1st but then our platform provider took down the old Jive site and we no longer have a way to go back in and grab content.   Hopefully Robert and folks like him who still have useful content like this will be willing and able to share again.

robotcars
Community Champion

@Jeff_F I'm extremely grateful for your contributions. I'd never used Tableau before tinkering with Canvas Data, your posts were enormously helpful in getting started.

When CanvasData2 is out, maybe we can run a points challenge to get people to recontribute key concepts with the new schema.

This entire document needs to be updated and curated for what survived the migration or had the URL that changed. 

@scottdennis I can't see permissions in the Edit option as with Jive. Is this document still editable to anyone in the MetaCommunity group? Anyone should be able to edit this.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hey @robotcars 

Just to be sure I understand correctly, you would like for anyone who joins the Community Users Group (we changed it from Meta because that named confused some people as to the group's purpose) so be able to edit this resource, correct?

robotcars
Community Champion

Hi @scottdennis,

Anyone in the community really, unless you have concerns. In Jive the only option was to allow members of this group to edit this thread. However that can be done in Khoros works for me. The document should be edited and curated by the community as it creates and finds resources/answers/solutions that need a lasting bookmark and a place for discovering those contributions.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Looking at options now...

rbungo
Community Explorer

We are a new Canvas client and this looks like a wonderful resource that was painstakingly put together by many superstar users/admins.  It is a terrible terrible shame that the links are all broken.  From what I'm reading above it appears to be due to Canvas moving the community platform.  How awful they did not bring this valuable content over.

cgaudreau
Community Contributor

Anyone actively using Materia? I'm extremely excited about implementing it, but our ITS department was having a tough time working through the existing documentation.

@rseilham - Do you know of anyone on the team at UCF who might be able to support wide adoption, or a contact I can put my IT team in touch with?

iturgeon
Community Member

@cgaudreau senior developer here overseeing the Materia team at UCF - We've helped other schools get up and running with Materia, we'll do what we can to help you get started.  We'd like to hear more about what trouble they're having so we can improve that process too.

You can reach out to me, ian at ucf dot edu, add a question on the github repo (https://github.com/ucfopen/Materia/discussions/categories/q-a), or join our Slack team (link in readme https://github.com/ucfopen/Materia

cgaudreau
Community Contributor

Thank you, @iturgeon. I'll reach out via email shortly. Appreciate it!

erik_gustafson
Community Participant

I cannot access any of these links above. It gives me an error message that the page could not be found. 

Could someone fix that for us? 

dgrobani
Community Champion

This list was called out in the March 2021 Account Services Newsletter from Instructure CSMs. Excellent publicity for a marvelous resource!

robotcars
Community Champion

I think most of these articles are migrated, the links just changed. I have been planning to go through and search each article/topic and relink, but it's a chore. 

Edit:

@scottdennis I tried to update about 12 links just now and got this error: Message cannot exceed 30,000 characters.

Can this be adjusted with Khoros, or do i need to split this into individual articles by topic?

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

I'm not sure, @robotcars but I will ask.

robotcars
Community Champion

Thanks @scottdennis It's currently just over 50,000 characters, but I can't edit.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Robert,

How about now?  We increased the limit so you should now be able to edit.

robotcars
Community Champion

Scott,

Got the same 30,000 limit after updating all the links in the Admin section.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Oh, no!  We set the limit for that group but now I am wondering if we need to do something additional for existing content?  I will ask.

robotcars
Community Champion

Hi @scottdennis, Still can't edit this because it exceeds 30,000 characters.