cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Batch delete inbox messages?

Jump to solution

Does anyone know how to delete your inbox messages in the new Community interface?  I've marked "all as read" and this has taken away the notification, but now I'd like to delete them from the Inbox index page, without needing to go into each one to delete.  Is this possible?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

franke@fau.edu​,

I have not found a way to mass delete items, but I have it only showing Unread messages, which seems to have a similar effect.  Not exactly deleting, but it works.

Robbie

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

franke@fau.edu​,

I have not found a way to mass delete items, but I have it only showing Unread messages, which seems to have a similar effect.  Not exactly deleting, but it works.

Robbie

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

franke@fau.edu​, after reading the Jive guide on the inbox--Core Help --I agree rogrant@nmsu.edu's suggestion is indeed the best and only way to manage the Inbox; Jive doesn't appear to provide a way to delete messages, but hiding all but the unread ones more or less accomplishes the same thing.

Highlighted
Community Member

To Emily and all,

My apologies if this question has already been answered.

I did finally accomplish a batch delete in my inbox, unread, sent, etc.  Use the old fashioned "click on a message, scroll down a ways, pick a message to shift click, click the More Options gear and click delete" method.  Then give Canvas a few seconds to collect the messages you included in your batch.  It took me a few tries (and several minutes) deleting 8 or 9 messages at a time before stumbling upon the error of my ways.  After that, i could batch 50 or 60 messages together and successfully delete them all.  I hope you have equal success.  Hey Canvas, BRING ON THE BATCH DELETE BUTTON! 

Rabon

Highlighted

rbewley@midland.edu, this discussion is about the Inbox in the Jive-powered Canvas Community. Canvas can ask Jive to implement new features in the Community interface, but Instructure Canvas itself didn't build this engine. However, since you've mentioned the "More Options gear," I believe you're referring to the Inbox in the Canvas LMS...? If that's the case, deleting or archiving multiple messages in the Canvas Inbox is documented in this lesson (scroll to the bottom): How do I use Conversations?

Also, your last sentence implies that you're seeking implementation of a feature idea, so please search the Canvas Feature Ideas space for a similar idea to which you can add your feedback and vote.

Highlighted
Community Member

I did discover that you can select multiple e-mails;  by selecting one, and then shift-clicking down the list.  Then you can delete all of the selected!     I minimized the graphics size (command minus on this mac, in chrome) so that I could select more e-mails on this small laptop screen.   

Highlighted

ooh,  you can even scroll down to reveal more emails before you do the shift-click.   

Highlighted

Is there a way to set unread as the default inbox?

Highlighted

But when you select all those items from your inbox (using shift-click), how do you delete them all?  The only option I see for deleting is to go into the actual item and delete. 

Highlighted

There is a small garbage can icon near the top of the interface, for me. I just tested it, and it (still) works for me.

I'll show a screenshot with my computer mouse in that area.

Pete Buchwald

University of Colorado Denver

Instructor of Audio Production

Cell (303) 246-4784

Office: Arts Building 274-B