cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
franke
Community Contributor

Batch delete inbox messages?

Jump to solution

Does anyone know how to delete your inbox messages in the new Community interface?  I've marked "all as read" and this has taken away the notification, but now I'd like to delete them from the Inbox index page, without needing to go into each one to delete.  Is this possible?

Tags (2)
2 Solutions
Robbie_Grant
Coach Emeritus

@franke ​,

I have not found a way to mass delete items, but I have it only showing Unread messages, which seems to have a similar effect.  Not exactly deleting, but it works.

Robbie

View solution in original post

rbewley

To Emily and all,

My apologies if this question has already been answered.

I did finally accomplish a batch delete in my inbox, unread, sent, etc.  Use the old fashioned "click on a message, scroll down a ways, pick a message to shift click, click the More Options gear and click delete" method.  Then give Canvas a few seconds to collect the messages you included in your batch.  It took me a few tries (and several minutes) deleting 8 or 9 messages at a time before stumbling upon the error of my ways.  After that, i could batch 50 or 60 messages together and successfully delete them all.  I hope you have equal success.  Hey Canvas, BRING ON THE BATCH DELETE BUTTON! 

Rabon

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Coach Emeritus

@franke ​,

I have not found a way to mass delete items, but I have it only showing Unread messages, which seems to have a similar effect.  Not exactly deleting, but it works.

Robbie

Is there a way to set unread as the default inbox?

0 Kudos
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@franke ​, after reading the Jive guide on the inbox--Core Help --I agree  @Robbie_Grant 's suggestion is indeed the best and only way to manage the Inbox; Jive doesn't appear to provide a way to delete messages, but hiding all but the unread ones more or less accomplishes the same thing.

rbewley

To Emily and all,

My apologies if this question has already been answered.

I did finally accomplish a batch delete in my inbox, unread, sent, etc.  Use the old fashioned "click on a message, scroll down a ways, pick a message to shift click, click the More Options gear and click delete" method.  Then give Canvas a few seconds to collect the messages you included in your batch.  It took me a few tries (and several minutes) deleting 8 or 9 messages at a time before stumbling upon the error of my ways.  After that, i could batch 50 or 60 messages together and successfully delete them all.  I hope you have equal success.  Hey Canvas, BRING ON THE BATCH DELETE BUTTON! 

Rabon

@rbewley , this discussion is about the Inbox in the Jive-powered Canvas Community. Canvas can ask Jive to implement new features in the Community interface, but Instructure Canvas itself didn't build this engine. However, since you've mentioned the "More Options gear," I believe you're referring to the Inbox in the Canvas LMS...? If that's the case, deleting or archiving multiple messages in the Canvas Inbox is documented in this lesson (scroll to the bottom): How do I use Conversations?

Also, your last sentence implies that you're seeking implementation of a feature idea, so please search the Canvas Feature Ideas space for a similar idea to which you can add your feedback and vote.

For some reason, I cannot get your batch delete method to work for me.  Could you please explain your steps in more detail?  Thank you!

Lori

peter_buchwald

I did discover that you can select multiple e-mails;  by selecting one, and then shift-clicking down the list.  Then you can delete all of the selected!     I minimized the graphics size (command minus on this mac, in chrome) so that I could select more e-mails on this small laptop screen.   

ooh,  you can even scroll down to reveal more emails before you do the shift-click.   

But when you select all those items from your inbox (using shift-click), how do you delete them all?  The only option I see for deleting is to go into the actual item and delete. 

0 Kudos

There is a small garbage can icon near the top of the interface, for me. I just tested it, and it (still) works for me.

I'll show a screenshot with my computer mouse in that area.

Pete Buchwald

University of Colorado Denver

Instructor of Audio Production

Cell (303) 246-4784

Office: Arts Building 274-B

@peter_buchwald ‌, please know that I removed your original screenshot and replaced it with one that has all of the names blacked out.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @franke  and everyone else that has been responding...

Since this topic originally asked about functionality within the Canvas Community (Jive) website and not about Canvas (two separate systems), I am going to move this question over to the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/community here in the Community.  If you are not yet following this group, please use the link that I have provided, and then click on the "Follow" button at the top right corner of the screen.  You may also need to click on the "Actions" menu and then choose "Join group".  Thanks all.

0 Kudos
rmhopper

Click on the body of the first email. The message should by highlighted. Scroll down and click on the body of the last email. All of the emails should be highlighted. Click on trash.

0 Kudos
KShoop

I reached out to  Canvas Help with this and they suggested clicking one email, then shift-clicking it to check off all of the others.

Have tried this on several different computers and Chromebooks and it just has not worked for me. 

I agree that a more efficient feature for mass-deleting emails would be great.

0 Kudos
blong
Community Participant

Unfortunately, the multiple click, even when using shift, stopped working :/.  This should be prioritized over emojis

0 Kudos
fazeelusmani

I found this useful guide on how to delete messages on Indeed. You can also read maybe you can find it helpful too.

0 Kudos